Sunday 17 June 2007

Sun 17 Jun 07, Run to the G events

An early start arriving at Fed Square at 6:45am, a quick chat with a few friends and on the line to see how I would go, the intent was to run well but not hurt myself (not very well thought out really). Of course if you want to run lots of kms at a pace between 4:08-12, you will eventually be working and I had talked myself out of the race before it had even started according to some smart people.

I started well but withdrew early, splits; 4:05, 4:05, 4:08, 4:08, 4:07, 4:08, 4:09. Deciding that it was more work than I really wanted I pulled off the course and walked for a while, but as I got cool I decided I would jog, go in various directions I ran for 35 more minutes before returning back to Fed Square. Changed into my sponsored uniform for Pacing duties. Then caught up with ads (his g.f ran the 5k event) and we took off for a 30min run, which was along the river and a lap of the Tan.

Next up was the 10km race at 10am (started 10 min late), I took up my position at the front of the 50 min sign, too bad 1000s of others didn't look at the signs and gauge their own pace. Without going on too much about this, lets just leave it at, "if I was chasing a time, I would not be using a big event to do so". I did my duties with a handful of people running alongside and following me, our pacing was all over the place, but it wasn't my fault (IMHO), I crossed the line on 49:42.




Caught up with friends afterwards, Narelle (2nd in the 10km), Tegan who PBed and Clare who was also happy with her run.

2 comments:

jojo said...

sounds like a wise decision stu

MorseyRuns said...

I heard the announcer say your name over the loud speaker as you started your run- that is great that you still got home in time given all those people and all those walkers.