Saturday 26 May 2007

Sat 26 May 07, Sandown Skins 10km Road Classic


Woke up feeling great, 8am out the door off to Cobbledicks Ford which is one of the tough cross country courses for the Werribee Little Aths Centre, today C & D decided they didn't want to race, but I wanted to get out there and watch the kids that I coach. I also ran as the 'rabbit' for the U6-8 1km race, as per normal pulling off the track at the 750m area and then encouraging the kids as they pass me.


An early lunch, then Cam, Ads & I made the trek to Springvale, in particular the Sandown Racecourse. Today's weather was sunny, slightly windy and an expected temp of 21 degrees. Arriving one hour prior to race time I was able to catch up with a few friends from other Clubs and then over to my Clubmates. 40 minutes before the race a group of Western Aths runners completed a gentle lap of the track, 3.2km and then I did some gentle stretching and a few strides on the grass in front of the grandstand.


The race started in sunshine and the back straight was where the wind was going to affect us most. I started back 10m or so from the start line at the back of the Western Aths guys, even with a big group we get to race pace very quickly, unlike a fun run. The plan was to run 3:55 per km and I was confident of achieving this and I was then hoping to increase the pace on the last lap (at least the final 2.5km), but it didn't work like that :-( .

The start of the race was solid and comfortable, 3:56, 3:56, 3:49, 3:56 was feeling really good, but the second trip up the hill on the back straight went all BAD and I ran 4:17, but the biggest problem was how I was feeling, very ordinary, so quickly. Near the 5k mark I pulled off the racing line and walked a few metres, but luckily (in the big picture) a MMM mate who runs for Sandringham but is injured and was jogging in reverse yelled at me, "Stu you've done the hard work up the hill, start fucking running", I looked at him and nodded in total agreement I got going again. Adw from Melb Uni past me and suggested that sub 40 was still on the cards, a quick look at my watch and I knew I had gone past 5k in 19:55, so it was still possible, but the next km was 4 something and it continued on in the that style. Coming along the front straight past the crowds in the grandstand I knew I was struggling and the thoughts of pulling out did enter my mind, but pride and the knowledge that maybe someone else from my club may have been injured and we only had one emergency runner for team points I thought I better continue on, with one lap to go Adrian J had stopped to stretch his troublesome calf's, he caught up to me and asked if I needed help to get my goal, I replied that it had gone and I needed him to finish with the best possible time for points and then I tried to follow him.

The last time up the back straight hill I just concentrated on this is the last time, made it to the top and tried to pick up the pace, sub 40 was gone but a PB (40:32) was still a slight possibility, whilst I was very tired and the shoulders were up I was going to have a go. Sadly around the 8k area I started to feel funny again and I started to feel light headed and then the vision started to go fuzzy and then no-one was around, I quickly came to a walk and felt very wobbly and I thought I was going to fall over, but as quickly as it happened that it disappeared. Old Miler went back past and spoke to me (checking on my welfare, thanks Tim), I started to shuffle forward and within a 10-20m I felt better and started to run. I past the 9k mark and made the effort to finish off solid but no need for a BIG hard finish because I didn't want to fall over in the straight and there was NO PB today so finishing was the key, crossing 41:07.

:-( Disappointed with today's effort, I know I am fitter and stronger than I have been on any other attempt and to be honest I was very confident today and for the first time ever I would have placed a lot of $$$ on me achieving, but it didn't happen. Yep probably a bit hard on myself, but to be honest I'm over this bloody sub 40 min thing and Sandown was the place to do it. Chatting with others it would appear that many didn't run as well as they expected, but to be honest today was about me and what I wanted.

And before anyone says, but you had a dizzy spell etc, I know that and I will go and see the Doc, but I wanted sub 40 and that was that!




Just after the start, a great sight and for those who have not experienced an AV race, this picture was taken within 50m of the start and I have NO doubt that we are all at race pace, so quickly, probably with in 5 steps I was in race pace..

Team Results are in,
, Western Aths Div 3 finished 9th/14 and Div 6 finished 2nd. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're too hard on yourself Stu. Ok, a little dizzy, not feeling right during, sh.. happens. Don't give up on that sub 40 goal.

Anonymous said...

hey stu, there are plenty of other 10kms races this year to knock off that 40mins.
i did'nt have a great run either but that happens.

Ewen said...

First, I'm super impressed with your pacing Stu - you gave yourself an excellent chance. Could have been a bit of dehydration/virus or whatever. Don't worry about it.

Although you say you've missed both goals, you should have another crack or two at the sub-40 (just to make Troopy happy). There must be other races - Sri Chinmoy, or even Burnie! You could fly over for a long weekend holiday and race :)