Tuesday 10 April 2007

Tue 10 Apr 07, 4x1k reps


Today I planned to do an interval session on the Tan, my first interval session since 1 Mar, excluding some bends & straights in lead up to the Region & Shield Finals. So the plan was to only do four reps which would be a nice way to reintroduce myself into the interval & higher intensity work.... hmmm only if I had got the session right.

On the Tan about 12:15pm, running along the Tan in the direction of the Shrine, I cruised for 9 minutes and then did some basic stretches and followed up with five strides of 50m at pace (probably too fast, which may account for my first rep). The plan today was w/up for 10 minutes, then 4x1k reps in approx 3:45-50 with a floating 60-90 sec recovery.

After my final stride I walked to the 2k sign on the Tan and started my first rep, it wasn't until the 700m mark that I realised I was working fairly hard, a min later I crossed in 3:21, SHIT, too FAST!!! And my breathing was an obvious hint!!! I walked for 60 sec & then jogged for 30 sec to the bollards at Govt Dve and took off for my second rep to the pillars, well you would think I would go slower and for a little bit I thought I was but I still crossed in 3:34, still way too fast and I was in trouble and walked my recovery for 2 minutes. SHIT! So what's wrong, I know better than this, hmmm, trying to run 1k instead of running the first km of a 5k race.... the next two reps were 3:48 & 3:52, but even though they were in the area I wanted, I needed 2 minutes of standing recovery and the final rep was not a rep but an all out effort... finished off with 7 minutes of very slow jogging back to work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where you using the slight downhill bit?

I start my 1km reps from the bottom of Anderson St and finish just past the traffic lights.

Anonymous said...

I heard a rumour the km markers are short for that part of the tan.

Tesso said...

Even though it wasn't planned surely it felt kind of good to run as fast as 3:21!

Ewen said...

You're still running like an 800m man Stu ;)

Not a bad average for km reps though!