Sunday 15 April 2007

Sun 15 Apr 07, You Yangs


A sleep in!!! Wow, for those who know me well will know that these don't happen often, I first woke at 6:10 then rolled over and my eyes re-open at 8:15am, well that would be the latest I have slept in for a long time without it involving alcohol.

So with a small bowl of porridge in my stomach I got ready for a drive to the You Yangs. 19 degrees and very sunny and in the bush I decided a cap, shorts & my garmin were enough and off I went. For the locals here is my trip, for the non locals this will read 'bla bla bla'.

Today I opted not to park at the front gate instead I parked at the 'dead end' on Toynes Road. I then started my run immediately on the Branding Yard Rd, passing the Bunjii Geoglyph memorial which is a large group of boulders in the shape of a wedged tail eagle which can be seen from Flinders Peak and the East West Walk Trail. After 15 minutes on the dirt road I turned onto the Branding Yard Trail and followed this for a few kms and then up the hill to the Turntable car park for my first water stop. Then back down onto the Trail and then veered to the left and then turned left onto Saddleback Track which leads back up that BIG hill, struggled a bit here. Once at the top I strolled along Rockwell Rd (dirt) which finishes at the Turntable car park again, so another drink and a good splash on my head. I then ran the East West walking trail in the opposite direction to other trips, the stairs killed my legs, hard work, but I worked and got there eventually, the 4.5km trip took nearly 26 minutes. Again at the car park, another small drink and then down the hill onto Branding trail and then back to Branding Road and to the car. I got to GCD and strolled along for an extra 500m to make it up to 18km in 1h 42.30.

Having only just returned back to a fuller training program I sit here today knowing that my legs and my overall body are fairly tired. I was hoping to catch up with my boys today, but they are busy so a hour visit later on will be all I'll manage this weekend and next weekend I have a two day course and my Club's presentation night.

No comments: