Monday 5 December 2005

Zatopek Classic, E Grade



I have obviously been talking too much about this race, thank you to everyone who has left comments here on my blog, posted comments on CR & Ausrun, sent me emails and sent me text messages. I hope all goes well and I will post a 'quick' note on CR & Ausrun tonight & maybe my blog.

Race Results:
Very busy at work so this will be short for the time being, the race didn't go as planned, I went thru the 5k mark on 20:01, after 6 or 7 laps I knew I was in trouble, I had no energy and my times where slipping. My km splits were 3:58, 3:51, 4:05, 4:10, 4:15, 4:15 I then withdrew on the 18th lap with the knowledge that I was not going to run sub 40 minute and I did not want to run a 41 min something, that wasn't why I was there.

Throughtout the day or this evening I will post more but I need to do some work.

Evening post: With time to analyse the race, I haven't really worked it out, I know it wasn't the wind, but maybe the heat, only 4 out of 34/37 ran sub 40 in my grade, so maybe the heat or my diet & sleeping patterns could have finally caught up with me??? Or just plain inexperience at such a long track race.

Below is an email from Burkie (coach):

Stu, Don't be disheartened by the 10k. I am pretty sure you will attain your aims. Certainly on the road. I am sure you can race well up to 3k. You are probably not fully ready to tace 5k let alone 10 on the track.

We did attempt to develop the rhythmn method with your long reps but we are not there yet. It is at this stage more of a technical challenge and a learning of a
mindset.It is no failure of fitness or effort...a learning experience yet to fully come

Burkie


Back to my thoughts, I wished that the sub 40 had happened but it didn't but life goes on, many are very surprised, so to am I. I kind of thought it was in the bag... oh well, the only goal I didn't achieve for the year, it just happened to be my main one! I'm not sure what for the next few weeks, probably just long & gentle.

Thanks again everyone for your support!


6 comments:

Jen said...

I'll be thinking of you and sending you speedy thoughts tonight!

Go Stu go!!

J

Ewen said...

Stu, I look forward to reading about the sub-40, then later, in fine detail. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

C Grade next year Stu

Anonymous said...

I know it's only 8am but a few of us on the forum are getting desperate to hear how things went...... just a subtle hint there for you ;)

Anonymous said...

Stu,

You have to be happy with 5 out 6 goals achieved so far this season. Look forward to your next opportunity to break the 40 min. barrier.

Ewen said...

Thanks for the details Stu. You're running great PBs from 400-3000. The 10k will happen next year. Give me a 4:47 over a 39:59 any day.