Wednesday 14 December 2005

Wed 14 Dec, the S2F Christmas Run @ Albert Park

12km today and 22km for the week so far

I decided today I would compete in a fun run, mainly to try and run quick, but Albert Park is not the place to generally do this, but...oh well. It wasn't until probably 90 minutes prior to the race I decided I would run the 5k instead of the 10k, for various reasons, a hard track session the night before and knowing there was a wind and the course was tight and Albert Park is not great for fast times at the best of times.

I parked in the Bob Jane car park and went for a warm up along the course running out to the 2k marker and then returned, the course had a few skinny spots and lots of tight turns with a U-turn thrown in for good measure.

I got into the starting pack a little too late and was probably back about 20 deep, way to far back for a fun run, oh well. And I paid for it on take off, with the majority in front of me running 25-30 minute pace. For the first km I was passing people nearly continually, and I passed a few more in the 2km, but was passed by no-one (until later). I forgot my watch today, so I had no idea if I was going to fast or slow, the first 2k + a bit were affected by a head wind, but I was happy it was in the opening part of the race instead of the finish. Around the 3k marker a female runner pulled alongside me and we continued to run side by side for just over 1km, but she moved slowly away from me in the closing km.

I crossed the line in 19:50ish (I originally thought it was 18:50ish, but it would appear I can no longer read when running "rolleyes"). Not a bad run, fairly happy, but I should have given myself a better start.

Chatted with a few guys I knew and then finished with a 3k cool down.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dont you hate it when you forget your watch, or the battery goes flat!