Friday 30 December 2005

Tue 27 Nov, a double day

14km today & 34km for the week so far

Today was expected to be 36 degrees and today I wanted to run twice, easy morning & a track session with Ewen (CR) in the evening at Calwell. So Gemma (my friend where I am staying) & I were out the door just after 7am. She thinks the course we ran is about 7k, but I would be thinking more 6.5k or less, but a few k's in the legs was my goal and just to chat with Gem, she concentrated on puffing along... :-)

I hopped in my car at 4pm to make my way over to Calwell, according to my car's temp it was 35 degrees and I'm off for a track session (rolleyes). Found the track and met up with Ewen & Jim and a couple of others. Ewen skipped the session but we went for a warm up together, about 1.5-2k from memory and a young one joined us who I eventually did half a track session with. The coach (Mike) had his young charge completing 500, 300, 200 @ 18 sec per 100 with 2 min recov and then 4 minute between the second set. A grass track with big lane markings which meant no setting on the lane, so I sat in the middle of lane 2 which made the session a little harder. It was very hot but no wind and I noticed too it was very dry... I wasn't wearing my watch, but I think we were getting most of the splits but the start of the second set my training partner was having breathing probs and withdrew at the 150m mark, I slowed and stopped (in hindsight I should have continued). I realised that she was out for awhile so I made my way back to the start and did the set again. Second time around for the 500 I found it hard to sit on pace so I stopped at the 400, but had the normal recov and got back into it. Finished with a 2.5-3k cool down with Ewen.

Afterwards, I went back to Ewen's for a shower and then off to dinner with Ewen & Jim at the Vikings Club. Thanks heaps guys and I hope to catch up with Ewen again on Sat morning for a run up Mt Ainslie.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

I'm glad you went to the trouble of coming all the way down to Calwell Stu. It was great to finally meet another CR track devotee. That was a good effort from you to run that session - it was bloody hot! It was a pitty most of our runners were away - esp the older boys and Kathy.

Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow - 7am Molonglo Reach car park. The pace will be very easy!