Wednesday 7 December 2005

Wed 7 Dec, an easy 10k & pilates

10km today and 33km for the week so far

I had a late night last night, not much sleep, just over 4 hours or so, but strangely I feel ok, and funnily I woke with a big smile on my face, relief and the knowledge of good friendship I guess. I worked a full day and finalise my purchase of a new car via salary sacrificing (leasing), in the next day or two I will pick up my 2005 Honda Accord Euro, artic blue, very nice, with just over 6000kms on the odometer.

I arrived home just before 5pm, quickly got changed and took off for an easy run, just over 10k, legs are a little heavy from Monday night, but I think they are ok and the easy k's will be fine and will assist with my recovery. This evenings run took in mainly road but also a little bit of grass & dirt around some local footy ground reserves, just to get off the hard stuff a bit. Tonight I ran in my version 11 kayanos.

My fourth pilates class tonight, a mixture of the beginners & intermediates tonight in the class, the 2 classes were combined. Many of the exercises are more testing, with some of the core work very hard tonight and I actually failed to hold one of the positions for the time allocated, but the stretches are very beneficial.


With Zatopek still very much in my mind and me not achieving my goal of sub 40 minutes I still wish it wasn't so and I wonder if I could have done something different.... As I have said previously, I received a many emails and text messages which is proof that the running community is a close group who all understand the dedication that each other put into our passion, some may say, our obsession.

Two messages stand out for me, one from a fellow CR/Ausrunner/AV member who said, "I logged onto your blog tonight and read down your list of goal times for 2005. As you said in the blog, all knocked off except for one. Its been a great year, mate with probably only one bad race. Awesome! Imagine what 2006 holds for you. You've come a long way with no doubt even more improvement to go." These words make me realise I should be very happy where I have ended up, the improvements made this year are great, last year I battled to run sub 44 min for 10k.

The other message is something many of us bloggers should take note of, a very close friend said to me, "You know what – you are pretty brave in my eyes…

I would never, ever put a big build up on a race, simply because I couldn’t handle it if I didn’t get what I wanted. You’ve seen examples of that…

You should be proud of the fact you put yourself out there, I wish I could do it…

When you write on your blog what happened, everyone will be positive…"


Thank you to all, I will put the Zatopek race to bed now and leave it alone and start to refocus on my running wants & desires!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does the big smile mean you got one last night?

Seriously mate, wasn't overly impressed with the DNF. Let the side down a bit by not gutsing it out, but as someone said at least you had the balls to give yourself a big buildup. Better luck next time

Jen said...

We are all very proud of you Stu!

So on to 2006 - what is on the agenda for you ?

J.

Stu Mac said...

Thanks for your thoughts cowboy, I have editted my blog to try and clarify why I was smiling, just so others do not come up with the same thoughts as you.

DNF, well...I easily could have finished around the 41 minute mark, but as I said that's not what I was there for, there was no problem with gutsing it out! But thankfully only I need to live with it, & I'm fine with it!