Wednesday 2 November 2005

Tue 1 Nov, a morning track session

12km today and 42km for the week so far

Melbourne Cup Day and I have been invited to a BBQ (thank goodness, something to do). I found out that some of the ladies were training in the morning so I headed down to do my 8x1k session. I chatted with Burkie regarding the session on the phone when I arrived, he suggested 60 sec for the recovery and to be aware of the heat (25 degrees at 10am) and not go to fast too early (rolleyes, he knows me too well).

Five laps in lane 8 for my warm up with some drills thrown in for good measure, followed by 5x70m strides, a good sweat and I then swapped for my flats and moved to the start/finish line to commence the session.

First rep was too fast and the second probably was too, esp with the heat, little wind but lots of sun, after my 3rd rep I knew the singlet had to come off, was hoping the girls wouldn't give me to much 'stick', but I was drenched. Did the 4th, right on time, but I had to work hard, quick call to Burkie and I re-adjusted the session to 600s and he suggested I slow it a little too.

Reps (recover):
3:36 (59)
3:38 (1:02)
3:40 (1:01)
3:48 (1:35) incl call to Burkie
600s
2:15 (59)
2:16 (1:01)
2:16 (1:00)
2:16 (59)
2:18 (5:00)
1000
3:28 (walked 1 lap, jogged 2, walked 1 bare feet)

All breaks involved walk/jog across the track diagonally back to the start/finish line. Was soaked in sweat, my shorts did not have a dry patch. It wasn't the session I planned but it was still a good work out.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I will resist the temptation to make any comment regarding the removal of the shirt in front of the girls....other than to say, lucky girls :-)

J.

Clairie said...

I commend you for having the foresight to adjust your session halfway depending on how you are feeling - very smart.

Also great to hear you having quality time with the kids on the weekend.It really makes all the difference in the long run and all too often I see families being so busy being "Busy" that they neglect the family time.

I was guilty of this a few years ago and made a big seachange to re-organise my priorities.

Thank God one of my boys now loves running!!! Every race together I put down as our quality time :)

PS. It never gets any easier to hand them back at the end of the weekend.