Monday 7 November 2005

Sat 5 Nov, Shield Comp Round 4

7km today and 69km for the week so far

A long session at Little A's today, everything seemed to be poorly organised, for whatever reason. Normally I would be finished by 11-11:15 but today 12:10pm......

Today its Cam's 2nd day as a licenced driver, so he offered to come and pick me up and take me to athletics, so obvioulsy I accepted the lift. We arrived at Aberfeldie exactly 60 minutes prior to the first 800m race, which Cam would be running in, so myself and a couple others took off for our 10 min easy warm up, I then did a few strides and then moved into my stretching regime and then a couple more strides.

Cam was allocated in the first race, hoping to get back into some form, he was hoping to run 2:04 (PB 2:01). After 400 he was sitting 2nd last of 10 but had gone thru in 58-59 and was looking very relaxed, with a bit of work along the back straight he moved up a couple of spots and then finished well crossing 2:04.04 very pleased with himself.

I was allocated the 4th heat, 12 starters and to the best of my knowledge the majority were 2:17-22 runners, so this should be a good race. I started in lane 4, at the cross over I moved over to the inside lane and was equal 2nd with one of the 16 year olds from my club, at the 150m a Melb Uni guy causght and passed quickly I moved a little forward of Darren and sat 2nd for the remainder of the first lap with a group of 6 directly behind me. First lap was 65-66, probably 2-3 seconds too fast, try & hold around the bend, at the start of the back straight Darren moved passed me easily and another moved along side me (Hamish B, Melb Uni), with 200 to go I was 4th and starting to hurt but I tried to hold my position on the bend with others very close. With a fast finishing Coburg runner I crossed 5th in a time of 2:20.21 which is my second fastest time. In hindsight a good time considering a tactically poor run race and a hard weeks work.

Finished the day with a 15 minute cool down and a go at shot put (5kg 7m 82cm; 18 cm off Div 3 qual, oh well).

No comments: