Sunday 27 November 2005

Sat 26 Nov, 1500m race

8km today and 54km for the week so far

Stayed up late on Friday night chatting with a great friend on the phone for many hours and only got a few hours sleep, not ideal, but spending times with friends is important! I might have got 3-4 hours sleep. Normal Saturday morning, entertaining and dealing with 45ish U6 boys & girls at Little A's, then off to Aberfeldie for a 1500 race and to watch Cam run his 1500 & a 3k Steeple.

I arrived at Abereldie just after 1pm (racing 2:10pm) and went for my normal 10 minute warm up followed by some stretching, strides, and more stretching. Today I was allocated into the third heat, slightly my fault, wasn't really listening when they called the times, I thought I heard 4.45 +, but I discovered it was up to 4:45, so I raced in the 4:30-45 group..... for some reason the Asst Venue Manager organised 26 of us to be in my heat???? too many, but it probably didn't make to much of a difference for my race.

I started in the second row of starters and took off a little fast and then settled equal last on the rail. The first lap was too fast 72 sec, was aiming for 75-76. The entire race I was either last or 2nd last, I'm not too worried about my finishing place, but due to being in the wrong heat this turned into a time trial only. I have seen my splits with Burkie, I can't remember them except for the first, but overall I just slowly died, again I looked flat & heavy. I finsihed in 4:50.51, compared to last year this is great, before Christmas 2004 I couldn't run under 5:05, so I am happy, but it is time to get this right.

I finished with a 15 minute cool down.

Cam had a great day, he wanted to run a good 1500 and get close to his PB of 4:12 and run close to 10:15 for a 3k Steeple. He ran in the first heat of the 1500 and was sitting 2nd last upto the 1200 mark where he moved past a few and ran a PB of 4:08.? over 4 seconds of his PB, very happy. His 3k Steeple started very well and he was steepling with more confidence than previous races, but he went out to hard for the way he was feeling, the first 2k in 6:25 and finished off with 10:23, the final km was quite slow in the big picture, but overall he was very happy with his form and effort.

No comments: