Monday 14 November 2005

Sat 12 Nov, Shield Round 5

10km today and 69km for the week so far

We had set up of equipment today at Aberfeldie so I arrived at 12:30 (too late to be very helpful). Today I intended to run a 1500m and possibly a 400m. Went for a warm up with Narelle & Louise and then did a few easy strides on the track around the bend before starting my stretching. Today I was hoping to break 4:50 again, but most importantly get my first lap right.

I was allocated the 3rd or 4th heat, 18 runners OMG. I was on the far outside on the start line, a big pack of guys who would run 4:40 - 5 min, I ensured that I was going to start calm (Burkie's last words to me), the race started and I moved slowly towards the inner lanes, at the 200m start line I was still in lane 2/3 and I was at the back of the BIG pack. Around the bend myself and a Melb Uni runner started to move up a few spots, along the front straight I was probably 15-16th, the first lap in 75sec (yes, finally, right on time) and I was running 2nd last (17th). Along the back straight I started to move into the tight pack and for the first time ever on the bend I had to use my elbow to get where I wanted, along the straight I was sitting in the middle of a very BIG pack, probably about 12 of us, very close. Still a big group at the 800m, by this stage I made my way to the front of this pack and pushed a little to close the gap of a small group just in front and at the same time trying to get rid of some of the young guys next to me. With 300 to go Burkie yelled to pick it up and have a go, for the first time at this stage I still felt strong and I started to catch along the back straight and pass people on the bend and coming into the home straight, I knew I couldn't catch anymore but I wanted to ensure I wasn't going to be past, I crossed 7th in 4:48.13, my second fastest time, but very happy with such a tight race and a controlled race.

Afterwards I went for a 15 min cool down with Narelle and then 30 minutes later I did 30 minutes along the river, no 400m today, couldn't be bothered.

Invited for drinks tonight, could turn into a big one....the morning run may be put back a few hours....

1 comment:

Ewen said...

An excellent 1500 Stu - great pacing.

It never ceases to amaze me how competitive track running is in Melbourne. With 4:48 you'd be about 3rd in the fast heat at ACT Vets and probably win heat 3 at ACT interclub!