Tuesday 22 November 2005

Tue 22 Nov, racing: 800m & 3000m

11km today and 27km for the week so far

Got a lift to the track with Cameron, his girlfriend & Luke and we arrived about 50 minutes prior to the 800s. Took off for a warm up with a group of underage & senior runners, which looked good to see 8-10 Western A runners together. Did the normal stretching & strides prior to the 800.

A field of ten in the 4th heat and I knew I was going to be one of the back runners in this heat with knowledge of the majority of the field. With the wind taking something from the race. Starting in lane 4, a good start which felt controlled, at the cross over I was 9th but in a bunch of 8 with two way ahead. Along the back straight I was sitting in lane 2 the majority of the time and I ensured I moved in behind on the bend. The first lap was in 65 sec, which was too fast, with 300 to go I was sitting last but myself, a Coburg runner and an U18 Western A all clipped and arms and legs were everywhere, luckily we were all were able to regroup and not lose too much pace. Obviously I wasn't going too well now with 150 to go but I was able to pass 2 guys at the top of the main straight and close in on another and finish 8th in 2:19.92, which is the third time under 2:20. Afterwards Burkie mentioned that he believes I can run high 2:16s if I can get the pace right and if I was a little fresher. Note: Cam ran 2:03 in the first heat, crossing 8th also.

Knowing I only had 40 minutes between the 800 & 3k I immediately went for a cool down to get the rid of the lactic from the legs and try to remain warm. Today I was running in the second heat of the 3k, which should be enjoyable finishing in the first 10 or so instead of 50th or so. The race was for 10:30 + runners. I was hoping to run about 10:40 with the knowledge of 85 sec per lap, I thought it would be achievable.

Splits:
1:24.43
1:25.68
1:24.40
1:24.73
1:26.57
1:29.53
1:31.47
45.78

10:52.59 PB

I really tightened up with 1k to go, the legs felt very heavy & tight and I had no kick at all, but a PB is a PB and with the knowledge that I am going to start my taper now and get ready for Zatopek I am happy with the run. I finished 9th, the third Western A across the line.

Cam ran a PB of 9:16.

Finished off with a 12 minute cool down with Adrian.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

66-point would be a good first 400 Stu. Congrats on the 3000 PB! You were feeling the 800 in that last kilometre.

Sub-40 is yours at Zatopek if you get the pacing right. Don't go out too fast is my only tip and concentrate on lap splits to keep your pace going in the second half.