Tuesday 16 December 2008

Track & VMC Meet

Tonight I wanted to get to Aberfeldie for the Vic Milers meet, 800m & Mile races. Jo was entered for the first 800m heat starting at 7pm, with a group 2:31 - 2:42 runners; I was hoping for a 2:38/9.

I still had a couple of kids coming to the track for a training session & as I wasn't racing I also needed a training set; on call 10x300 @ Claire's wanted 3k pace with a 100m float. I arrived early so I did 5 laps in lane 8 and then 4x100m strides before Claire, Chantelle & Bailey arrived. Chantelle only did 200m of the rep & Bailey only did 5 reps (slightly faster) before moving onto discus training (he is going to the Multi's).

A humid (ish) evening, the plan was to run 300m in 71/72 sec, this was for Claire more than me. It took a couple for her to get into it, she had a BIG morning swim session of fast work so I think she was tired, but eventually she got into it, I ran in lane 2/3 talking and encouraging.

Reps: 71 / 72 / 73 / 72 / 71, I then changed the recovery to 50m walk & 50m shuffle, the reps then were 70 / 70 / 70 / 71 / 70, a lot better. I then did 2 more reps by myself in 59 & 60, I'm fairly sure I could not have done that for too long, but they felt good but sadly 2 years ago I was racing 1500m faster than that pace. Then a cool down with Claire, 2 laps of jogging & a little bit of walking.
______________________

I arrived at Aberfeldie, a decent crowd already, lots of Western Aths, Essendon & Melb Uni runners & a sprinkling of other Clubs were represented. Jo had already jogged and started her pre race ritual with TB. A bit of a chat & then off for her strides, one with trainers and then into spikes. I had done a bit of work with fellow coaches to organise a fair paced heat, not just for Jo, but for any girl who fell into this time slot and it was great to see all of the girls & ladies preparing themselves, so often there is only one women's heat, so to see three was GREAT. The plan was to run 37/38 for the first 200, a little more aggressive than her current times indicate, but I was confident of her racing grunt (a good thing) and I thought that her current endurance might be better than had been seen on the track, so far.

I moved to the 200m spot so I could call the times for the race (I stayed there for all of the 800m races). Jo started in a heat of 8 in lane 6, the first 200m in 35...shit, but sh was in the pack exactly where I thought she would be (I knew 5 of the starters), but still too fast ... maybe she could hold the pace, but then the next 200 was in 40ish, nup! But then maybe, she held the next 200m, but on the front straight with 80m to go, I again thought maybe....but then 20m later her legs went and there was NO sub 2:40 happening tonight. Maybe we were too aggressive and I say WE, I did encourage a faster start than normal, but still ahead of last year, so let the strong endurance period start.

2 comments:

jojo said...

well in that case WE sucked!!! semi-lol

Ewen said...

Getting out fast at times is good training, although 75/87 isn't a great split ;) Kids always start too fast.

Speed endurance intervals might be useful. One session Kathy used to do a fair bit before her 2:31 was 4 sets of 4 x 200m with 1 to 1 recovery. So, if she ran 37 she'd have a 37 sec (walk around a bit) recovery. Only problem is the whole track has to be used, which isn't great if it's windy.