Tuesday 9 December 2008

Gym & AV Shield Round

Just 40 minutes in the gym this morning just after 6am, 12 min of easy riding on the bike and then some upright rowing, shoulder press, single shoulder raises and then some bi & tri work, I finsihed off with 5 min core work.
________________________

For those readers not in Melbourne, it started raining in the west of Melbourne around 2pm and by 3pm it was pouring and continued doing so until 5:30pm, so the question I was being asked on my mobile by many was, "will we race tonight", well WHO KNOWS, but eventually it was confirmed by Clare who was at Aberfeldie, the meet was on, this was just before 6pm.

So the meet started but didn't finish properly. I couldn't care less if I got wet but I did not want to drive to Moonee Pond unless we were racing! So once I knew that the meet was happening, I jumped in the car for a 45 min drive. Once I arrived I started as a Club Helper, first I put the steeple onto the track, then down and then off, we were sharing these duties with Coburg. With only 5 parents here today and we needed 7 helpers, we had to struggle with athletes having to do duties, even though 5 REAL officials belong to Western Aths and they don't count, the new AV rules SUCK! Eventually a few more parents arrived.

Then 30 min before the 800m races I went for a 12 min run to warm up and then a few strides, yep as expected, the legs are heavy, oh well...I didn't really care too much. I lined up in the 5th heat which was called as a 2:35 heat, suited me and I guessed that I was probably ranked 4/5th out of the 10, I started slowly in lane one & at the cross over I was 7th, first lap in 76 and I was now 5th, back straight I moved into 3rd and with 150 to go I thought I might be able to move up into 2nd, but there was nothing left in the legs and then once in the straight a Coburg teenage boy zoomed past me and made me look like I was walking, I ended up 4th in 2:34. Whilst the legs were heavy, I actually felt the best after an 800m all season (meaning breathing etc). I then watched a few of the Wes Aths girls and in particular Claire who ran in the 4th heat and pb in 2:54.

With the rain starting very gently I made my way over to the 200m, in the final heat, crossed 4th in 30:11, happy with that considering. Watched Claire's pb in her 200m and then jogged in the rain for 10min with her, then home nice and wet. The relays were cancelled, probably due to the rain, lack of officials & athletes...

No comments: