Tuesday 23 December 2008

Hill reps

This morning I started off with nearly 30 minutes of pilates exercises, especially concentrating on flexibility of the hamstrings and hip flexors.
____________

This afternoon I had organised with two other coaches to take our squads out to the You Yangs and complete a bunch of 45/60 sec hill reps. 26 runners, some of Burkie's athletes had a tempo run to complete with Burkie in tow on his bike, Chris & Sue went for a 35-40 min run and the rest stayed with my hill reps.

The fast four decided they wanted to make it to the top which was 68 (Blair) - 74 (Ads), myself, Bec, Lexie & Jo did 10x60 sec reps and the remainder 45 sec (6, 8 or 10 reps). With nine runners from my group I gave them an explanation of what I hoped they would achieve tonight.

We started with a 8-10 min easy run along Branding Yard Rd for our warm up then into the reps starting at the sign post on GCD. I had pre-set my watch to 'beep' at 45, then a further 15 sec & then 2 min (the return jog/walk return). The four guys took off first then the remaining 16 under my control started the run up the hill; using Jo's Garmin results as a guide for me I assumed that the rep was approx 240-250m with an elevation exceeding 22m, which was working in that short distance.

I called the time to start, then at 45 sec and then again at 60 sec before turning back, it was tough especially the last 5-7 sec of each rep. TOUGH work but happily I finished each rep with a couple of metres everytime. We all finished off with a 8 min cool down, before hanging around and chatting & exchanging best wishes for the festive season.
____________

Note: My squad members who trained were: myself, Jo, Bailey, Elyse, Teagan, Bianca, Steph, Celeste & Claire. All trained exceptionally well and I would be interested to hear how they feel tmrw.

1 comment:

jojo said...

well since you are interested ;)
-legs were very very tired and not able to move faster than a dawdle