Monday 15 December 2008

A Sunday run & VLAA State Relays

A coolish morning and only a few at the Youies for many reasons, four of us started from Toynes Rd with Burkie on his bike and we made our way along the boring GCD, myself, Mel, Loren & Jo. After 12/13 min I thought to myself that were probably are running sub 5 min pace, a quick check with the girls and they agree that they should slow down, a quick check of the speedo on Burkie's bike had us running 12.5kph.

5-10 min later I decided a would move ahead and then come back at various spots, which worked for me. After 32 min of running everyone was at the Turntable car park, which involves a steady 2k of running up a hill which changes just under 100m elevation in that distance. From here as a group we took it easy going down to the Branding Trail. After 1k on the trail, myself and Mel went one way and Loren & Jo along Branding Yard Rd. Eventually Mel & I discovered some very wet paths and then a little river (normally no water) which we had to find a fallen tree to get over, eventually we all ended up back at Toynes Rd, a little wetter than we started from some light rain & then slight humidity.

46-47 minutes wasn't enough for me, so I wandered off by myself for another 30 minutes along some VERY wet & slippery trails. 76 minutes all up for me. :-)


The pic below are the $50 shoes I got at Smith St, bargain.

______________________________

Today was the running of the Victorian Little Athletics State Relays at Olympic Park, as a coach I had six kids from my training squad competing in various teams and the team I was responsible for the U10 boys 4x200m (below L-R, Bailey, Kees, Chan & Thomas), both Bailey & Thomas train with my squad, both are distance runners but handy over 200m.

Sadly the day didn't go well for them, they were in heat 3, lane 3 and started really well with Chan handing over in 2nd/3rd in very low 32s, Thomas worked really hard into the wind and remained 3rd/4th, but a mistake in the changeover saw the baton on the ground and some hands in the air. :-( But Bailey did as I have asked the boys over & over, NEVER give in, he picked up the baton which was in his lane and took off like an ANGRY but very fast boy and he caught the second last boy; Kees took over and moved comfortably into 7th position.

Bring on the Multi's & the T&F Champs, no batons or change overs to worry about, but of course, bring on State Relays next year.

No comments: