Monday 9 June 2008

Queen's Birthday PH

Long run this morning as I couldn't get out on the weekend due to the boys staying over. I took Jo for a trip to the YY, we started from Toynes Rd and went straight onto GCD and up a hill, normally I would start with a lap of the Branding Yard loop, but I knew this would take the run over 90 and that more than I wanted to do this morning.

We ran on a trail which we had to go very XC and follow the wild goat trail which was barely visible, then back onto GCD and straight into a decent size hill, eventually we made our way to the Stockyard Trail where the Vic MTB Champs were last year, a testing course with lots of views. I then detoured onto the Quarry Rd, whilst I was waiting for Jo to get to the same point, after she had a small fall over a lump of gravel (more detail in Jo's blog), then up Quarry Rd which is a road that Troopy has always encouraged the Wes Aths guys to run up, which is a good test! Then I took Jo for a scenic trot (well I ran she didn't) up No Track Hill (so named by Buster), from here (274m) you can see Geelong, Melbourne etc. Back down to the Stockyard track and straight into a group of nasty rises which continued for 2k and a rise of 100m over that distance. All of the hills I pushed myself and turned back to run with Jo. An enjoyable run, over 12km of comfortable running where I worked the hills.

The graph below is the elevation of the course, the later hills take us past the area I have in the past referred to the Ned Kelly course as this is where a lot of the Heath Ledger version was filmed.


______________________________

Tonight I met my young group at President's Park at 4:45pm, we ran along the grass fields until getting to the river paths (8 minutes), then along the paths at various paces, re-grouping every few minutes. A few repeats up a few hills here and there. Overall a good session a few kids really worked VERY well.

Getting dark very early, so we cam e back in a little earlier than normal and finished off with push ups, planks & single leg poses (pilates).

2 comments:

jojo said...

if i wasnt such a 'lady' (lol) i would say that was one f&^%er of a run
..and you just about killed me
..and it wasnt a tiny peice of gravel..it was a mound of dirt thank you

..ummmm and maybe i shouldnt have sworn at you..quite as much as i did :)

Ewen said...

It sounds hillier than when we took you up Ainslie and Majura!

Great to get a run like that done with no injury dramas - the tail end of the winter season could be good.