Saturday 28 June 2008

Coliban Ekiden Relay

A great event, a five person relay event from Harcourt to the Bendigo Aths track. I was selected (just) in the Western Aths 5th men's team, in Div 7 running the second leg. Starting with a BIG downhill and then 4k on a trail, sometimes dirt, sometimes rocks. The run finishes with a horrible uphill which I have never managed to run up (3rd time) and I knew with my current fitness and no racing since last November I would struggle BIG time.

And I was right, I walked, not once but many times, 29:19, but somehow not the slowest Div 7 runner and the team I ran in finished 7th/11.

As a Club we had a good day, Men Div 3 - 2nd, Men Div 5 - 4th, Men Div 6 - 3rd, Men Div 7 - 4th & 7th, Wmn Div 2 - 6th, Wmn Div 3 - 3rd, Wmn Div 4 - 3rd & 5th.

Aths Victoria decided to follow two teams with their You Tube camera crew, Western Aths we the chosen Club, so check it out, my head gets there a fair bit and even my son is interviewed too, AthsVic TV


The overnight trip in Bendigo was a great time to get to know some of the new guys who stayed and also catch up with lots of good friends. Home just after 1am after a good meal & a few beers.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

That was good Stu! A bit rude of Tim to start talking over the top of you though - I wanted to hear the rest of your pep talk :)

9 teams is a huge effort - well done on getting all runners to the correct starting points. Some of your relay hand-overs need a bit of coaching though ;) Great promo for Western Aths!