Saturday 4 August 2007

Sat 04 Aug 07, Sandown Relays, Rd 7

Running wise, today started at Cobbledicks Ford just outside of Werribee, today was the final round of the WLAC XC Season, with a couple of the age groups point champs to be decided today, involving a couple of the kids I coach.

I did a gentle 6 min jog with a couple of the older kids and then 1km as the 'rabbit' for the U6-8 age group, so 2k for the start of the day. A nice way to be able to stretch out a couple of sore spots.
___________________________________________

Today the AV Winter Series was back to Sandown, this time for the relays. My Club had two men's teams, two open women's teams & three junior women's teams. I was in the men's Div 6 team and would be running the final leg. The Div 6 team after the first change over were sitting 2nd out of 13 starting teams, more than 1 minute behind the very strong Geelong team today. Geelong had a very strong Div 1 team today so this means there lower Div teams become very strong. By the end of the day they beat our team by nearly 3 minutes and we finished 2nd nearly 2 min ahead of third.

Like last year, I ran the final leg for our team, knowing that the final leg is tough, no one to run with, all you do is pass the slow runners or get past by the strong finishing Div 1 & 2 teams. 6.2km of running without actually running more than one step alongside another runner, this being one of the main reasons why I dislike relays. When I started my leg I knew we were 2-3 min behind Geelong, so no chance of catching and I believed that we were approx 2 min ahead of 3rd & 4th. So with little to run for my main aim (want) today was to run as even as I possibly could. Last year I ran 24:43, this year whilst slower, was a way better run, 25:06.12 according to my watch (AV times haven't been released yet), my laps were 12:27.76 & 12:38.56 which I was very happy with. Like last year I didn't get to run with others, no packs, hardly anyone to work on to catch etc, so being only 11 sec dif was great!

With my morning run, w/up, race & c/down I got in at least 12km for the day and found myself VERY tired by the 9pm!!!



Just starting to tire it would appear, the upright and slight backwards lean appears to be starting.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

We don't have winter relays that long - our longest is a 4 x 3.8k, so even 4th leg runners have a good race. We also have a 10 x 1 mile relay which is fun.

You had a good run Stu - 10 secs is not much of a fade.

I agree about the 6 weeks needed to show improvement, although the early signs are encouraging. Patience is a virtue when it comes to distance running.