Saturday 21 October 2006

Sat 21 Oct 06, 1500m race

9km today and 67km for the week so far.

A windy afternoon at Aberfeldie and I was running a little late. With the 1500m races commencing at 2.30pm and I arrived just after 2pm, but I knew I should have at least 40 minutes as the first 2 heats shouldn't involve me. Wind all of my boys in tow today I was able to 'show' Kaelan off to some of my friends for the first time as most had not met him before and there were a few mum's there who wanted to fuss over him and were more than happy to look after him whilst I was warming up and racing. Cam's girl friend's mum was a marvel and looked after him for me... :-)

I took off and got 2.5km warm up and then a few stretches when the sub 4:30 race took off, I also managed to squeeze in some strides and a bit of a chit chat with a few club members and some guys from other clubs. Cam was in the second heat and ran a very smart race, funnily it was only 3 weeks ago I beat him in two 1km time trials, but a bit of consistent training and he is starting the trek back. At the 1000m mark he was 12th, with 300m to go he had move into 3rd and ran 4:30.

My race was the 5-5:10 min group, 15 of us. I was hoping to run 4:55 to 5 min, starting in the middle of the front group I was able to move onto the railing on the back straight and was sitting fairly comfortable. Throughout the race I felt in control of my pace and probably was racing 95-98% so I am happy with my time and finishing 5th in my heat, not a bad start for the season and with today's wind and the knowledge that I had a bit left all looks ok for a decent season. Some of my splits are below:

76.3
82.7
82.5
finish time 5:00.11

Finished off with a 25 min cool down run along the river.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

That's a pretty good first-up 15 Stu. Pleasing not to see a 71 first lap ;)