Tuesday 6 June 2006

Tue 06 Jun 06, track session 5 x 1600m

12km today and 40km for the week so far, 5/6 runs this month

Picked up my new contacts prior to training, arriving at the track about 5:10pm. It was just starting to cool down when I arrived, according to my car it was 11 degrees. I started my warm up (by myself tonight) around the VU Complex three times and watched the fog start to roll in and could feel the air getting cooler by the lap. After my third lap I did 300m of the track and did some drills.

Some light stretching and 3 x 60m strides at my 1k pace, whilst waiting for Burkie I did some more stretching, once avail we went through my week so far and he tried to work out what I had planned for the rest of the week and w/e, but as I am unsure of the boys availability I couldn't answer. Well you can do a big one, 5x1600m @ 10k pace with 40 sec standing recovery.....

Tonight's attire, Skins sleeveless top, adidas climax T, nike tights and nike zoom elite on the feet. No company tonight, so off I go. I knew I had to get the first rep right or the whole session could and would turn to shit, aiming for 95 sec per lap, which is 6:20 per rep. Well I got the first couple right, but I know I am not in sub 40 shape, no-where near it, struggled in the third and battled on for the 4th & 5th. Having to slow my pace per lap and slightly increase the recovery.

Splits (recovery):
6:19 (42)
6:28 (45)
6:41 (55)
6:42 (55)
6:26

Once dressed in jacket and pants, I did two laps of the track and then two laps of the grassed area inside the track. Wasn't that great of a session, highlight, I did battle through and didn't give in, but I was hoping I could have kept the 3rd & 4th reps much closer to 6:30.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's got to be a hard session to
complete Stu! With such short breaks
and having to get through 5 of those
means you've done a big session!


SB:)

Vicky said...

Stu, sounds like May was rather rough for you with the op and all, but June sees you bouncing back from it. I enjoy reading about the running of a serious, experienced runner and picking up tips along the way, so will be following your blog. Good stuff.

MadAboutRunning.

Anonymous said...

Hey Stu. I've only been running a few months and seem to have one pace -- on or off! I am amazed when i read blogs where training is done at 1km pace or 5km pace, etc. It must be a pretty handy ability to have. Is it something that develops with time the fitter or more experienced a runner gets? And yes i am a westie! I've been down with the hobos a few times. It is a nice run along the strand there.

Stu Mac said...

Yes steph, experience is the only way to get the pacing thing right and let me tell you, it is easy to stuff up!