Monday 5 June 2006

Mon 05 Jun 06, an easy run that became a 'Kenyan' tempo run

13.5km today and 28km for the week so far, 4/5 runs this month

I got home slightly early today because I had to pick something up before 5pm, so I left work at 4pm, but strangely I couldn't remember what or where I was suppose to go??? But being the stubborn person I can be, I still left work with the hope that it would come to me...but it didn't. SO I got home early and decided to hit the roads and go for an easy 12-14km run.

Whilst it was a cool day here in Melbourne there was some sun and it was still light so I went for my Skins top, white singlet over the top as I was running on the roads and a pair of shorts. I got about 500-600m into my run and I realised that my Garmin hadn't kicked in and I had been running for nearly 3 minutes but 0km, so I reset and took off again. Sitting on 5m-5:05 pace for nearly 10 min when I decided that whilst I wanted an easy run I didn't want to repeat yesterdays run so I increased my pace to 4:50, it was then I realised, I had to pick up my contact lenses!!! Oh well, maybe tmw!!

After awhile I started to get bored with this pace so I increased again to 4:40-5 pace and this was when I remembered a session that Tim Crosbie had mentioned to me a few months ago. This session is popular with the Kenyans (hence the name I gave my run), they start slowly and continously get faster and faster, so I thought, yep, sounds good. I made sure I was now running 4:40 pace and waited 5 min and then increased to 4:30 pace which was nice and comfy and sat on this for 12 minutes before I moved up to 4:20, I sat on this pace until I hit the 10k mark which is a set of lights which I had to stop at.

With a little rest I took off and was running 4:10 pace for 5min and then for the next 5 min I sat sub 4 min pace. According to my Garmin the fastest was 3:38, but I suspect that was only a little bit. With 1km until home I dropped the pace to start my cool down, back to 4:50 pace until 100m from home where I walked for the final part of tonight's run.

So a boring old easy run became a fun session with a little bit of fast stuff. Once inside, rehydrated with Musashi electrolytes and did about 10 min of stretching and then a lovely warm shower.

4 comments:

Em said...

Ahh, senility is setting in :-)

I read about that Kenyan work out in Runners World a few issues back but haven't given it a go yet, I have a tempo session booked for thursdat might be time to try it out now that it has the Stu Mac seal of approval ;-)

Anonymous said...

Snap, snap and snap. I had similar run tonight and also Garmin problems.

Hey, contact lenses....you weren't stooging your boss to leave work early now, were you?

Unknown said...

I feel so much better now that I read about your forgetfulness, Stu Mac!! If it happens to a youngster like yourself, there's plenty of excuses for me!!

Jaykay said...

Oooh I think MD and me will have to give this Kenyan running thing a go!!