Thursday 1 June 2006

Thu 01 Jun 06, track 6 x 400m

8km today and 65km for the week so far, 1/1 runs this month

A new month, hopefully this one will be on the improve in many ways, running to get back on track, health, work & maybe even one day a love life.

I arrived at the track just after 5pm and after hello to those present I chucked on my Garmin and then did 3 laps of the VU Complex with Dave S. I wanted to know exactly how far this run was as I do it regular and have always thought it would be close to 1km, which it is 920m for one lap. So we did 3 laps, chatting away about stuff and then finished off with a few strides and some stretching. I enjoy training with Dave, we are of similar pace, generally speaking, but 21 & 39, but Dave's primary focus is on his ironman/life saving skills and running is just one part of his sport. We always have a good chat which is definitely one aspect of belonging to a club that I really enjoy.

Anyway to my running, tonight was going to be fun, Burkie wanted to get most of his older squad members doing the same thing. So a nice sized group with most of us aiming for the same time. Mitch, Brad, Rory, Dave & Me, then Chris taking off 2-3 sec after & Cam 6 sec after. The intent was for 6 x 400m @ 78-80 sec with 2 min recovery. The recovery time is quite long but I think with this w/e race and just returning it would help ensure a successful session. Compared to the normal 1 or 2 guys, a pack of 7 was going to be enjoyable. Burkie was hoping I would help control the pack a little, a few of the guys last week had their splits all over the place, ranging from 75-85, just couldn't get their pace right, well tonight we were a little all over the place too, but generally fast.

With the inside front runner changing each time, but for consistency I sat on the line of 1/2 at the front but allowing the inside to control the pace, but I would call the time at 200m. Splits, get ready, they are all fast and a bit all over the place, at least the recovery (slow jog) were on time:

Splits (recovery):
1:14.3 (2:00) - yep too fast
1:17.3 (2:00) - getting closer
1:19.1 (2:01) - 16 year old sets the pace & gets it
1:15.7 (1:59) - different 16 year old doing his last rep works us hard
1:16.6 (2:01) - its confirmed we have no idea of pace
1:11.4 - I tell everyone I am aiming for 75, I crossed last in 71, OMG, Burkie told us it looked like a full on race when we hit the 300 with Cam & Chris coming from behind and going around.

Finished off with a walk of 200m, some warm clothes on and then 4 laps anti clockwise. I really enjoyed tonight, my first rep session with Brad & Mitch who train with a different squad and normally work on 4's & 8's and are competing XC for the first time. Doing rep work with a good sized group was lots of fun and would have looked better than the normal small groups of one & two, in my opinion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're having fun. That's the important bit of any training. My two cents worth.

btw, thanks for your comments over my way re - the Marathon, much appreciated.

Crissyjt said...

Great to hear you had an enjoyable training session. It makes a huge difference doesn't it. Now when you find yourself having a 'moment' you can reflect on tonights run.
Cheers.
C