Thursday 8 June 2006

Thu 08 Jun 06, track 6 x 400m

7km today and 59km for the week so far, 7/8 runs this month

I arrived at the track at 5pm and according to my outside car temp guage it was still 11 degrees, so I thought Skins top, singlet & shorts would be fine, but during my recoveries I knew I had made the wrong decision, the back of your legs get so cold when jogging slowly, until further notice all rep sessions will be done with tights!!! And Burkie is more than happy with that decision.

Still with long pants and long T shirt, I took off for my normal 15-17 min warm up, 3 laps of the complex and a lap of drills, by myself. Whilst warming up I could see Cam & Mitch warming up too, so I suspected I would be joining the fast boys tonight. Stretch and 3 x 60m, change my to my flats and 2 more strides whilst waiting, a quick chat with Burkie and yep I was right, join with Cam (18) & Mitch (21). Mitch is experiencing his first winter of XC, previously concentrating on 100s, 200s and occassioanl 400s, but last summer he ran a couple of 800s (2m 03 & 2m 05s) and he started doing duathlons, so endurance based training is all new to him.

The plan, 6x400m @ 76 sec, 74 for Mitch & 68 for Cam. Mitch & I start to gether and Cam to leave later and catch us. Well the first 200m, Mitch took off so quick with me following a metre or 2 back, 200 in 35, OMG this is going to hurt, I slowed a bit to try and get a little bit of control back. All of my splits are my times, Mitch was ahead each time by 2-3 sec and Cam got his reps, 4x68, 1x69 & last one 66.

Splits (recovery):
74.1 (2:00)
76.1 (1:59)
76.2 (2:01)
76.1 (1:59)
76.4 (2:02)
75.01

Burkie mentioned that the recoveries will be reduced from next week, I knew I shouldn't have been so consistent...he did mention that he will work on reducing down to 45 sec, I looked and smiled, I'm sure that was directed at the younger guys.

A short cool down tonight (2 laps), the fog was rolling in and it was becoming very cold, before my cool down I had my Skins tights on and LS T and jacket but it was very cool, time for the beanie for the cool down too.

2 comments:

Crissyjt said...

Ahh.... so less consistancy means you will go easy on me for my speed sessions! *rubbing hands together*

Anonymous said...

Hi Stu,

Each day you write a comment like '7/8 runs this month', i dont mean to be vague but what does it mean?

Also, well done on your times -- i was put off by my interval training last week but that is no way to improve huh!

see you, steph