Sunday 25 June 2006

Sat 24 Jun 06, AV Road Relays, Harcourt to Bendigo

10km today and 67km for the week so far, 22 runs/24 days this month

I arrived in Harcourt, the starting point for today's race just before 12pm, dropped my 3 passengers and got Adrian to follow me out to check point one, so I could leave my car in location and then return with him back to the start.

I was allocated the first leg in the Div 6 team, 6.5km and is graded by AV as the hardest leg for the lower Divisions, a steady climb for the first 4k, then a steep climb doe about 1km or so and then a steep decent for final part of the race. To be honest the leg doesn't suit me at all, not a good hill runner, but our normal ploy is to put the number 2 on this leg and the number one on the rolling 8.5k leg and try and move away. So the first leg was mine.

I knew nearly half of the guys in the first leg and was hoping to use some of the guys who normally finish about a min in front of me over 10k as a guide for my pacing. Pep & TB from CR/RW forums where running the same leg, with the knowledge that TB beat me at Frankston and he runs a lot more hills than me I thought he would probably get me again, which he easily did.

I struggled through my leg, my legs felt heavy and I didn't enjoy the climb at all, but happily when I handed over to our 2nd runner we were in second spot.



This is a pic of me & Adrian (CR). Adrian ran the same leg as me in our Div 4 team.



Results for my Club: Confirmed Men Div 4 finished 5th, in a very fast race, the funniest thing here was our men's team beat the third place Div 3 team, Div 4 is quite strong at the moment. Wendouree won over Doncaster (they had a few change over problems), Sth Bendigo, Sandringham & then Western A's.

Confirmed Men Div 6, winners are grinners, way out in front!!!

Not confirmed: Women Div 2 - second, Women Div 3 - 3rd and our second Women Div 3 finished 5th.

The men's Div 6 team are a strange group, myself running my 5th Coliban; Bradley ran second in his first year of senior racing he is 15 and this was his first Coliban, 3rd Chris, 18, one of Cam's mates, he has run twice before but this is his first race since summer, he was going through a non running time ;-) ; Mitch 21, his first Coliban, he is running past 800m for the first ever and has decided to take up a bit of winter base training for the first time to improve his 400s and then Rory 14, his first winter race with the Club and therefore his first Coliban. And now we are all winners, which is really good as this will give us a further 13 points which will take us a long way from the relegation area, we were sitting 10th previously due to not fielding a team regulary, hopefully we can follow up with a good performance at the Sandown Relays on 8 Jul.




This pic was taken about 4am walking back from the pub!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean, you don't run hills well. Maybe we should have a few sessions at the You Yangs.

Walking back from the pub or stumbling? lol

Em said...

Great report, looks like a solid day for your club.

Hills hey, Rogo's shock treatment of late is certainly curing me of my hill phobia (can't avoid 'em out east).

The only thing missing from that last photo is the dodgy souvlaki that only seems like a good idea at 4am :-) though being a vego I am spared the horror myself.

Anonymous said...

It sounds SO much better when you say 5th, not 'probably last!!' Anyway, yes we had fun - at the pub..LOL

Stu Mac said...

Steve: no matter how many times around YY, I am still an ordinary hill runner.

Em: the dodgy food at 4am was my first visit to KFC in 5 years, a Zinger burger & I can confirm, it will probably be 5 years before I visit KFC again.

Clare: Very true and I have reworded with the knowledge of the results now.

Tesso said...

Congrats on the win Stu, certainly cause for celebration. But a Zinger Burger!!!!

Vicky said...

LOL ! Just glad I'm not the only one stumbling in at some ungodly hour lately! Has to be done at times... !

Anonymous said...

Wow your a nice looking lad! Have only ever seen you in smallish photos with glasses on before