Tuesday 30 May 2006

Mon 30 May 06, 8 x 600m with 400m floats

12.5km today and 44km for the week so far, 18/30 runs this month

A good sleep last night as far as I'm concerned, just short of 8 hours, which is nearly the second time within the last week. Funny dream again, but woke early this time. A busy day at the office again, got heaps done, arrived at 7:30am and left at 4:30pm so I could get to training just after 5pm.

Arrived to find Adrian doing a session with Cam, which is great to see, secretly Burkie is trying to push Adrian a little to see how quick he can go after a few consistent weeks. Adrian (similar age to me) is one of these people who can train once or twice a week and still manage to run 37 min for 10k. Dave S, was leaving the track for a warm up with one of the girls, so a couple of quick hello's, grabbed young Chris C and took him for a w/up on the grass track around the Complex. Managed to keep him going for 10 min and then I continued on for another lap and then a lap of the aths track doing some drills, all up 16 min.

A few stretches and a chat with Dave S (hadn't seen for many weeks) and then Burkie suggested we jump in with one of the squads who had already commenced doing reps of 600s with a floating 400m recovery. We should have been running just faster than 90 sec per lap, but to hang with the group we sat on 91-92, but after a few reps, I got slightly frustrated with the mucking around with their recovery distance and the slower pace so myself and Dave took off by ourselves. Dave who is just getting back into the rep work did 5 reps and I continued on by myself for my final 3. I knew the session was easy as I was talking a few amount and asking Burkie for coaching pointers whilst passing him. Just prior to my 8th rep I asked Burkie if I should continue on and do 10 as it was very easy, a quick shake of the head!

Splits (recovery 400m):
2:19 (2:47)
2:17 (2:50) too long, this is why we left the others
2:21 (2:33)
2:20 (2:40)
2:21 (2:42)
2:18 (2:35) the final 3 reps were by myself
2:15 (2:30)
2:03, walked 300m and then jogged 3 laps, then stopped and put on my Skins as my legs we getting cold (was in shorts today), then did 5 laps of the grass inside the track. Finishing with some standing stretching, using the steeple for some of the exercises.

Today's session was easy, but was satisified, 2 years ago I would not have dreamed I could do such a session and today I thought it was easy, no walking from the start of the first rep until crossing for the 8th rep, all of the floats were running the entire time.

3 comments:

Ewen said...

A great sign that it felt easy Stu.

That was a big session of 600s - especially with the float recoveries.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments my way Stu. We really should organise some runs whether around the Tan/Yarra or Hoppers.

It's good you're sounding more upbeat.

Tesso said...

Hey Stu, one of our training partners is a bit like you Adrian, preferring a sleep in to a second speed session most weeks and yet she still manages to either keep up or whop us!