Tuesday 25 November 2008

Rd 6 Shield Comp

This morning in the gym for just over 30 minutes, some upper back, chest, shoulders and some arm work, nothing too heavy, but a 'nice' short set.
___________________

A lunch time game of football, we won 3-1, no goals for me, but I did have 6 'real' shots on goal and 'smacked' the goalie on all six occasions......, no reserves, the game was a little bit more work than I was hoping for, but I did play up forward, so that helped a bit, but I was drenched in sweat by the end.
___________________

At Aberfeldie tonight for our first twilight meet, normally I'm not really a fan during November (holiday period is better), but tonight I was 'spewing' that I'm not fit, the conditions were perfect, no wind, low 20 degrees, great for racing.

Just two races planned for tonight, 800m & 3000m or 800m & 400m. I ran the 800m and ran in the 2:35 heat and this time it looked like a 'real' heat with 12. I started in lane 7, sharing my lane with Phil from Coburg, once started I moved in front of Phil and held a steady pace, at the cross over I was 7th and sitting on the rail, I held this position until the front straight where I past a couple of KSB juniors, first lap in high 75s, happy with that. At the 500m mark I moved into 5th, directly behind a guy from Willi who eventually tripped himself with 200m to go, thankfully I was able to move around him and I picked the pace up and moved into 3rd and JUST held off a fast finishing KSB guy in 2:33. So still very average, but an improvement.

After my 2k cool down I decided I would run the 3000m race and I was aiming for 95s, but I wasn't confident. A BIG heat, 79 runners, OMG, we had just watched an amazing 3k race, Liam Adams won in sub 8:15 and four others within seconds of him, great Club racing! The gun went for my race and after 100m I reckon I was 60th, so many start so fast, I'm not sure where I finished, but I generally only past others. The first lap was 97 but primarily run in lane 3 & 4, then 3 laps of 93, then a 97. The next lap was shit, with 700 to go I felt average and dizzy for a moment, in hindsight I should have worked through it, but I scared myself and moved into lane 4 to regroup and get out of the way and walk, but I quickly realised the 400m races were being run concurrently and I needed to get back into the race or 'step off'. I rejoined and didn't push myself and cruised in approx 100+ sec lap pace and finished in 12:14, which was an improvement but............................

A cool down run with Jo and Chris C (21) who ran invitational tonight after a 3 year lay off.

2 comments:

jojo said...

ooooh dont like the sound of the dizziness hoeny bunch :(
it was fabbo rac ing condition tonight-i loved it

Ewen said...

Did Jo mean "honey" or something else?

I know - you were just demonstrating to Jo how to run a 2:33 ;)

Seriously though, I think you'll take heaps off that - the season is young. Keep training hard.

Well done with the kids too - it's great how they're relying on you to set their racing schedule.