Wednesday 11 January 2006

Wed 11 Jan 06, You Yangs again, but not GCD

12km today & 54km for the week so far

I woke this morning, my legs felt heavy, a little soreish in the quads & around the hip flexor area, nothing serious, just generally a tired feeling, but I want to be feeling it for the next few days, a little overloading is what I'm after, not just big k's but hard work, see how I go, but will have to be careful and take note of what my body is saying.

I arrived home just after 5.30pm, got changed and decided I felt like running on dirt and not around the local area, so I decided I would do the You Yangs but not Great Circle Dve. Just after 6pm I started, it was 21 degrees, no wind but lots of cloud coverage. The first 10 minutes I felt like someone was bashing my legs with every step, so I stopped after 10 minutes and did about 5 minutes of stretching, but as soon as I started moving up the slight hill I could feel my quads were heavy, I was starting to feel some discomfort in the left hip flexor region, so I slowed a little, probably to 5 min pace.

Even after 30 minutes I didn't feel great but I was still moving along at nice pace but I could feel my hip and occassionally I could feel a sensation in my left hamstring, I have felt this previously when I was training fairly hard for the marathon, so I assumed it was the start of slightly overdoing it...

After 35 minutes I started to work back towards the direction of home, which also meant i would have flat or slight downhill which was a lot easier on the legs. The last 5-8 minutes I could feel my l.hip and l.hamstring. on return to the car after my walking cooldown i got out my stretching mat and stretched for 5-10 minutes. I think I was just tired more than anything else. Track session tomorrow, probably 400s, will wait & see what is suggested. I will mention to Burkie about tonight's run, I know he will suggest dropping the workload a bit, but I am intent on working hard for a bit more, and he is aware of my intent, will wait & see.

Finally reach the 100km mark for the year...

2 comments:

Steve's Stuff said...

Home at 5.30 and running at 6 pm, you must have been flying down the Princes Fwy to get there.

I suppose you can put today's run down as "just one of those runs".

Hmmm "what your body is saying", is it saying, "I need rest".

I'm thinking about heading out to YY tomorrow morning.

Stu Mac said...

Times are approximate, I go the back way now down Bulban Rd, seems to be a little shorter.

Yer the body may be calling for a rest, but not yet, maybe next week.