Tuesday 10 January 2006

Tue 10 Jan 06, track session with Tim Crosbie's squad

10km today & 42km for the week so far

Poor nights sleep over night, resulting in a couple of hours only, this with a few big runs in the past days could affect tonight's session. Sadly many complications in one's life can result in problems, I know I have an extremely good friend here in Melb & in Canberra who are aware of the issues & I hope they will help me through it all. But this is a running blog so let's get back to the subject on hand......

Tonight's session was a different one for me, not at Hoppers, but on grass, at Fawkner Park & with a different squad, all adults no teenagers, very different. Tonight I worked until 4:45pm, which is 40 odd minutes later than normal and then meet with a bunch of AV guys & gals that had been put together for a promo photo shoot for the Herald Sun, which are sponsoring the Run 4 Kids fun run, which AV are also supporting and incorporating in the AV Winter Season. Tim Crosbie who is the new Winter Manager organised a bunch of us from differing clubs to meet on the bridge at the end of Anderson St, which crosses the Burnley tunnel. So a bit of jogging in a group over the tunnel and then along the river and we were off. Then alot of us hooked up with Tim's squad for a training session.

So we jogged up to the pillars and then as a group made our way over to Fawkner Park, we ran to the far side, one oval away from the Alfred Hospital, a grass track was outlined around a cricket oval. Training with Jegster, Old Miler, KSC, Journeyman, Toomz, a bunch of MMMs, a Richmond Harrier, lots of Sandy runners & a few Malvern guys, an Essendon guy and some people who are not aligned with AV Clubs, but the biggest difference for me was the age group, all excluding one are adults, a big difference to the squad I train with. Tonights session was 8x600 (approx distance) with a 200m float for a recovery, which I knew would be an issue as I'm not a big fan of floats, especially when only approx 1 minute. The middle distance group were doing 6x600m with a standing 3 min recovery.

As per normal I started too fast and the first rep I finished way to close to the fast guys, and I paid for that in the middle reps, but I tried to blunder on. Thankfully I hooked up with Dave P (have meet a few times) and we worked the session together, after the 3rd rep I needed to walk the first 30 sec of the float to make it through. After the 4th rep I had to remove my singlet, I was soaked and starting to get the 'nipple' problem..... "rolleyes"

Splits (recovery):
2:08 (56)
2:24 (59)
2:26 (1:01)
2:31 (1:06)
2:34 (1:18) - drink stop
2:35 (1:07)
2:35 (56) - no walk recovery
2:18 hard work.....

Checking out the splits, I am surprised to see the walks didn't make too much difference, I think I walked 3 times.

As a group we jogged back to the Tan and broke off when nearing our cars, jogged off with Jegster and we chatted a bit about how welcomed we felt and a few other bits & pieces. Over all a very good experience and I'm sure I would be more than happy to be a regular if I lived in the area.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stu,

More than happy to have you along.

How did Burkey respond to the rep times? Perhaps in hindsight we should have had you doing the passive recovery?? Watching you and Dave P do the floats was like watching grass grow......

:-)

Unknown said...

I know it's a running blog, StuMac, but you do have another friend...right here in Mittagong! Anytime you're in the area, look us up!