Thursday 12 January 2006

Thu 12 Jan 06, track session 6 x 400m

7km today & 61km for the week so far. 11/12 runs for the month & year

Another late night, about 4 1/2 hours sleep, probably getting me down a bit, I did think maybe a couple of beers might help and relax but I decided not to have any.

I arrived at the track a little later than normal, just after 5.30pm, dropped my bag and got straight into my warm up of five easy laps, the last 4 with Dave S (training partner for the night), thank goodness for some company. My legs feel heavy, my l.hip/butt is uncomfortable and my l.hamstring is tighter than normal. After my warm up I stretched for awhile and then did 5 x 70m strides. After all of this my hamstring felt fine, but I could still feel the hip.

Burkie left early tonight but Dave had been given the session, 6x400m at 77sec with a 75-90 sec walking recovery (we decided on the recovery, it hadn't been mentioned), I knew this was going to be hard tonight, the legs felt like lead. Dave was suppose to aiming for 80sec laps, so he started a few seconds before me, but 100m into the first rep I knew we were going too fast.

Splits (recov):
1:13 1:18
1:16 1:37
1:18 1:33
1:18 1:39
1:22 1:31
1:20

I felt like death warmed up and if it wasn't for Dave I would have stopped after 4. I changed out of my shoes (DS racers) into my DS trainers and then went for a cool down, intending on 3-5 laps, but on the second I started to get cramping sensations in my left hamstring which were uncomfortable. I finished the lap and then did some stretching which felt great, I then thought I would stick my heel on the fence and stretch again but my r.calf cramped a little, so enough of that.

Later in the evening I started to get little cramps in my hip area, I think I will rest or pool it tomorrow, will wait & see, but I would prefer to do about 10k or so.

Note: I am going to start counting how many runs for the month & year in each entry.

6 comments:

Stu Mac said...

Agreed, it is time for a massage, my massage therapist is currently in Canada racing & holidaying, she returns next week, I will be booking in!

I noticed this morning I have run every day since Friday 23 Dec, excluding New Years Day.

Steve's Stuff said...

I love stats as well Stu.

I take it 11/12 in heading is 11 runs from 12 days.

How will you class 2 separate runs in a day? You might need another stat simply to indicate total free run days compared to days ran.

Maybe we should have been cricketers.

Anonymous said...

Stu,

Looking at your splits it appears you headed into the 'spiral of death' again. Have you ever tried deliberately easing the last 50m of your first two reps? It won't dramatically slow the rep down but will help to be recovered sufficiently for the next. The consistent times come when you use this last 50m to push through in later reps.

Coincidentally we did 6 x 400m at Sandy last night. 2min recoveries for the first two then 90secs for the rest. Was probably one of our highest quality sets for the season due to Tuesday being an easier session on the grass. KSC averaged under 67secs for the first time ever. Hopefully this should lead to a 1500m PB soon and a quick steeple next week in Sydney.

You desperately need a massage and possible a strategic rest day (SRD) or two in coming weeks. Don't become a slave to your training diary... or blog.

Tesso said...

Its great that Tim is commenting on your blog. We might all learn something. In fact I already have!

Ewen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ewen said...

My calculator was playing up, so the correct comment...

I hope the hammy is nothing serious Stu.

Another idea to help moderate the 'too fast' first rep... Just prior to the 400s do 4 or 5 'running start' 50s and time yourself over the 50 metres, making adjustments until you have the feel of 77 sec 400m pace (9.6 per 50). Fast strides over 70m although good for 'stretching out' tend to tune the brain/body into the wrong pace. You could still do a few strides before the 50s.

Another option is to have someone call out your 200 split so you can make adjustments over the next 200 'before it's too late'.