Saturday 7 January 2006

Sat 7 Jan 06, All Comers meet at Box Hill

7km today & 50km for the week

Made the trek over to Box Hill with Cam & one of his training partners, meet a with a small bunch of Western A's, a couple of women sprinter/jumpers, a couple of male U16 sprinters and five distance runners (always on the look for a race). Three of us were racing the 1500m & the other 2 were doing the 3k Steeple.

A beautiful afternoon, sunny & no wind, I wish I could put these sort of days on order.... A normal 10-12 min warm up on the streets outside the track and then 3 strides prior to my race. I was allocated in the 5th & final heat with 16 others. I recognised a handful of the guys from the Vic Milers race. The race started and I was happy with my start getting to the rail quite quickly, on entering the straight I was sitting 7th or 8th, pace was comfortable & good. I heard 75 for the first lap which I was happy with, along the back straight I moved into 6th and this is where I sat for the majority of the race. I felt like the race was a good pace and I thought I might have gone under 4:50 again, but not to be, finished 6th in 4:52

Splits:
75
80
80
57 for final 300

I would have liked the first lap to be 1 sec slower and for the 2nd & 3rd to be 2-3 quicker and a stronger finish, but not today.

Finished off with the normal 10 minute cool down.

As I type this something has been missing from my day...

3 comments:

Sparkie said...

The 1500m is always a tricky one when that first lap is quicker than you would have liked - too short to gradually ease back the pace. Good finish though...

Ewen said...

You'll be able to handle a 75 first lap soon Stu. All I'd add is run as 'fast as possible' in the third lap. Better to finish with 76,59 than 80, 57.

Clairie said...

6 out of a field of 16 is great going Stu. *clap clap*
To have held on and been so consistent in the field is a good sign as well.


I wish Brissy had regular racing at the track like this, it is great to watch and get motivated from.