Sunday 31 July 2005

Sun 31 Jul, Monthly Stats & You Yangs

79.6kg, 14km today, 14km for the week

Well the month of Jul has come & gone, statistics for the month:
- Monthly kilometres = 290km
- Biggest week = 85km
- Injuries & niggles = nil, excluding heavy legs
- Races = 6k Road Relay (24:50), an ordinary 10k Road 'fun run' (41:49) & Vic 12km Cross Country Champs (49:23, noting that it may have been 400m short)
- Highlights = Ferny Creek 1h 45m, Bundoora race - short or not I ran bloody well & my track session of 8x1000 all between 3:47 & 3:52, 2-3 months ago I couldn't do 4 reps under 4 min & that was with 2 min recovery.
- Weight = have sat slightly under 80kg for more than any other month that I can remember :-)

This morning a small group meet at the front gate of the You Yang park, intent was 2 were running 1 lap and myself & Dave were doing that plus 30 minutes more, but not everything went to plan. We seen Adam with some Hobson Bay Hobos, they had just finished 2 laps of GCD and were looking like it had been tough work... ;-)

Off we went, a touch faster than normal (I think), I reckon we may have been trying to keep up with Narelle, but after a km or so it felt ok, in hindsight we were still probably going to fast but we had settled into that groove. Once into the hilly areas I could tell it was going to be a long day at the office, laboring on the hills but felt ok everywhere else. About 25 minutes into the run everyone was moving slightly away from me as we were going up one of the steeper hills. Today the unthinkable, I had to walk a few times :-( , my legs were tired, once returning to the flat or even small inclines I was fine, but the steep ones got me everytime. After the last of the BIG hills I zoomed down the BIG down hill, once at the bottom I found Dave, he was having BIG calf issues and was unable to run anymore and walking was very difficult. So I left him with the intent of running the last 20 min at my 10k race pace and then return in my car & pick Dave up. With 1km to go I was flying and then the last hill and I died, the legs just didn't have the ability to race up the hill. Still I finished in 65:14, which is pretty good considering the amount I walked today.

On return to the car park, I walked & drank water, had my banana, put my jacket on and then drove to pick Dave up, in a fair bit of discomfort it would appear. Overall an ok run but I know a few easy days are required.

1 comment:

Clairie said...

Sounds like a strenuous run with those hills and that pace Stu! Obviously it works on building your strength and keeping that weight down :)

Good summary for the month, 290km great going!