Sunday 24 July 2005

Sat 23 Jul, Vic X-C Champs at Bundoora

79.5kg, 18km today, 67km for the week so far

This morning I went to Cobbledicks Ford with Connor for his cross country race, this is the hardest race in his circuit, a big hill & downhill. No soccer today, cannot fit both in, but this ensures that he will finish 3rd in his age group, which is good considering he missed so many races, but there is no doubting he never would have won the U6s this year, young L beats all of the U7s and only 1 or 2 U8 beats him.

Left home 12:10pm with Cam , pick up Adam and arrive at Bundoora a hour before Cam's 8k race, he needs a good one today to get his confidence back, too many problems with his breathing. Cam's race was extremely good, a great time and no breathing problems, finished 9th!!! :)

I had already run a lap of the course prior to Cam's race and I went off for another 2k slow run 45 minutes prior to my race. Very windy today, but the course is hard under-foot, the wind is in our face going up Mt Cooper.

All of the Western A's start together (7 only, 1 short for 2 teams :( ), move off at a good pace and I want to ensure I stay with a big group to hide from the wind up Mt Cooper the first time, which I did sucessfully. I thought I would run my laps about the 13 min mark, but not so, the first lap was 11:55, too fast???, I hope not.
On my 2nd lap I noticed I was quite close to Gary (my uncle who I have never beaten), I was now concerned that I was going too fast, but I continued on. My third lap up Mt Cooper I made the passing move on Gary and I was in the unknown, but continued on strongly. On the downhill, prior to the road crossing, Simon Field zoomed past me and made me feel very slow, WOW. It wasn't for another 150m or so before a couple others past me. (note: I was lapped by 6 runners).

Once I started the 4th I concentrated on continuing my pace and once to the top of the hill I worked the down hill and tried to start working on guys ahead of me. I was feeling good and tried to move faster, I was slowly gaining on a few, after crossing the road a young Collingwood athlete caught up to me and sat directly behind until the final small hill when you can see the finishing line, he made a move to my outside and I tried to increase my pace, he remained next to me, we started to hit the straight he took off and I responded as fast as I could, I wasn't catching him but I did pass 3 others in the final 50 metres which I never would have if not for this final surge.

I look at my watch, I cannot believe it, I ran 49 minutes & 23 seconds!!! Last year 56:59. Splits: 11:54, 12:25, 12:36 & 12:27 This year is the first time I have consistently run faster last laps.

I am so happy with this time, I can hardly believe it. :) :) :)

1 comment:

Jen said...

Congratulations on a fantastic race Stu and on a huge improvement over the last year!! All your hard work is paying off and will no doubt continue to do so. Well done! J.