Wednesday 10 June 2009

Western Zone XC Champs @ Brimbank

It poured over night and all morning and it was cold this morning. I took today off using my annual leave so I could support 9 kids from my Squad, on arrival at Brimbank at 9:20am it was 7 degrees with light drizzle, hmmm fun fun fun.

Five Zones competed today in seperate races, which each Zone having 6 races (10 years, 11 years & 12/13 years as at 31 Dec), the first 4 qualify for the Vic State Primary School XC Champs to be held on 24 Jul at Bundoora. My niece has already qualified via the Shepparton Regions, so I have booked a coffee with my youngest sister, Rebecca.

Cold, wet and muddy is the only way to describe today, muddy & wet, have I already mentioned how wet & muddy it was??? As well as warming up my squad I also helped with the Werribee District PS, always good to help out the schools and advertise who I am etc. The first race was the 10 year old girls, 4 runners from my group, Lexie the favourite, last year she finished 2nd in this race and this year she is 10 so she was hear to show her dominance which she did by winning by more than 100m and comfortable is the only way to describe her race. Chantelle run it exactly the way I asked, easy first 500m and then work through the pack, which she did and finished 4th and Demi (this age group next year) finished 10th after falling on the start line and Victoria (recovering from the flu) finished 11th which was great as she is not a XC runner but a very good 400m runner. A great result and a nice way to start the day with 2 qualifiers.

The very next race had Thomas who run a great strong race finishing 2nd, following the VLAA 800m silver medalist. (3 qualifiers) A break, more rain and OMG it was getting colder! Then the 11 year old girls with Chelsea (recovering from influenza), Teagan and Courtney. This race was always going to be dominated from the Werribee LAC kids we had the talent here and the first 8 kids all compete at WLAC. Courtney ran a blinder from the front and never allowed anyone else into the race, the fast pace at the start killed Teagan (12th) and sadly Chelsea who I expected to finish in the first 3 couldn't sustain her race pace after 8 days of suffering a nasty hit of the flu and was still suffering, but between mum & dad and my athlete & coach we decided to give it a go, she finished 6th but outside of the qualifiers.

The final race for me was Scottie in the older boys race, a very strong sprinter who I have improved his endurance greatly, winter for him is footy (VC of his team) and when he can he trains with me and today he finished 9th, 6 spots higher than previous years.

A very satisfying day, with four kids qualifying for the State Primary Champs.
____________

Training tonight had low attendance, just a group of Year 7 kids, faster 400m reps which I did with them in the bloody rain! 4 laps to w/up, 4x100m strides, 5x400m in lane 3 in 90 sec and then 2 lap cool down. It rained for probably 80% of the night.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Nice going coach. So what was the weather like? ;)