Saturday 13 June 2009

Brisbane Ranges

Early this morning I jogged just over 2km with 6 U13 & U14 kids this morning chatting about today's WLAC race and also using the group for some peer group pressure with Harley, for some reason he had decided he wasn't good enough to compete in the VLAA State titles on 24 Jul...I got my way!
__________________


A cold day in Melbourne today, at 1pm when I picked Blair up it was 9 degrees and we were off to the Brisbane Ranges, which historically have been a cold & wet training location in previous years.



The Vic Park web site:

Little more than an hour's drive from Melbourne takes you to the state's richest wildflower habitat. Set in a low range of mountains dissected by rocky gullies, the unusual geology of Brisbane Ranges National Park has preserved plants that have long since vanished from the region, together with a correspondingly diverse bird population and the greatest density of koalas in Victoria.


Eventually we are ready to start just after 2pm, running from the Boar Gully Picnic Ground along Camp Track which takes us out of a Gully.


A group of 12 of varying abilities etc, four of the guys who were running 2 hours had already left whilst we were organising the teenager girls (for those with girls will understand what I mean)...


After 10 minutes half of the group were planning on a run with 2x5 min tempo sets, whilst myself and a few others were just after a 50-65 minute run. An enjoyable run, lots of general chit chat with young ladies (Bec & Loren) from other coaching groups and myself & young Claire having a very social time whilst getting some time on our legs over dirt trails with some hills thrown in for good measure.



Once back at the Picnic Ground (50 minutes) with Claire, I made a call that I was going out for another 15 minutes on a different trail, Blair (17) came for the stroll. Like every time I have been to Brisbane Ranges I have seen a koala or 2, today was no different; in the dying minutes of my extra run I saw 2 little koalas up high. No rain today, just a few light drops, but very cold, so the social BBQ on the open plate was short for myself and my car load.

The photo's are from my Club's web site, I just thought my Blog needed some colour.... :-)

2 comments:

Ewen said...

Looks like the perfect location for training! Who'd want to run on the track? Oh yes, Jo would.

jojo said...

err miss jo woulda been happy to be running there instead of working til 2pm!!!!!!! and i love trail runs Mr Ewen!!!!