Saturday 9 May 2009

XCR'09 Series, Round Two, Lardner Park 8km XC

The day started with Jo organising herself to get to an APS race and then me with my boys in tow I was off to a Little Aths XC race at 8:45am....hmmm, it would appear that we like XC racing...

Wet & cold was the weather here in the west and my Little Aths squad were racing in Altona on the hardest course in their WLAC schedule, a very big hill, but to be honest, if they race the hill well they generally PB as the majority of the 1k course is down hill.

After watching four Little Aths races, I returned home, made some lunches and packed the bags and the trek t Lardner Park was underway with Connor, Declan & Kaelan. On arrival we carted all of the Club stuff to near the finishing line, strangely this job was made easier with lots of little hands available.

My first job was set up our area and get all of the info out there, as Team Manager. Then I changed hats and took on the role of a coach with two girls in the U14's, one for the first time with AV, they both did well 16 & 17th out of 30 girls over the 2km course. Then a quick check on my boys, a quick chat with two ladies I coach re spikes (Jo was already convinced) and then I took off for my warm up, just over 2.5km of flattish running.

My race was 8km, 2x4km laps, I knew it was going to be a shit run, but I needed to be there running, I needed it for my season, my Club needed more runners and my fitness and ability to run hard needed it too!

I dislike running on grass and it really showed again today, 18:46 for my first lap and slower for my second, but to be honest, I don't really give a shit, last year I hobbled around walking with a serious achilles injury, this year I ran! 32:25 (Edit: 38:25) on my watch and the AV timing, shit and yes it involved a little bit of walking! I do not like very step short hills, my mind nearly always wins.

A very short 1k cool down to run my legs out after running 8k in spikes (to stop the slipping, not because I'm fast).

Then I watched some of the ladies race and then a long drive home after some Club Presentations, home just after 6pm....a long day.

The Aths TV show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89zIrz0FN4w

2 comments:

Ewen said...

32:25 for 8k? That's some second lap! 18:46 + 13:39 ;)

Anyway, good run for the club. Keep working or Jo will get a few 'victories' before the season's out.

Stu Mac said...

hmmm, maybe 38:25....very poor proof reading!