Saturday 16 May 2009

Club Pack Run

Friday morning was in the gym for an all round set, predominantly chest, back & core, but other major groups were visited too.


Our Club Pack runs move about the place and this week the run was scheduled for the You Yangs, yes some of us visit the YY weekly, so we ensure that we select a trail that is visited by only a few and not often. We started at Big Rock and today I decided where the majority would go (yes I can be a bit bossy or at least very persuasive), but I also coached 4 of the group and I also know a lot of the trails in comparison to others.

I suggested a 50 minute course which could be extended by those who were doing their long runs upto 60/70/75/90 and two of the U20 boys did just over 100 minutes. The first 20 minutes of the run really hurt a few, constant hills until I got them onto a new MTB trail which follows GCD for 2km and then moves into the bush and snakes its way to the Stockyards (home of the State MTB course). We arrived at the turn around spot in 28 minutes and then split into smaller packs, I turned with a couple of ladies and some of the girls I coach and from here my run turned 'pear shaped', I needed to take on a 'carer's role' with an un-named person I coach, we had turned and were running down a steepish hill and this person had dropped to 15m off the back of the pack, I turned and gave some encouragement and saw a strained expression. To cut a long story short, the person said to me they had 'pooed themselves', the poor bugger. SO we walked back to the starting point, I'm not sure how bad it was, but they didn't want to run, so we didn't, gees I was cold when we got back to the parents.

So not exactly what I wanted, but as a coach I am prepared to make sacrifices, I did manage nearly 6km of hilly running.

2 comments:

jojo said...

well is sounds like you were very supportive.,well done stu

Anonymous said...

Oh crap .......

You did good staying with them

EatEm