Wednesday 15 March 2006

Wed 15 Mar 06, first time with Garmin 201

8km today and 58km for the week so far. 11/15 runs this month & 58/74 runs for the year

Started the day in the gym just after 7am, a really good session today, mil press, lat pull down, upright rows, oblique lifts, arms curls with bar, tricep pull downs, preacher curls, shoulder raises, ab & core work (12 min), finished just after 8.

Still can slightly feel a lurgy, little cough and a little down, but not too bad and hopefully I have started to beat it already.


Ran in Hoppers tonight, didn't get a Run Leader gig tonight, so I went to Riverbend Park with my Garmin for its first run. I still haven't read the book and I haven't really played with it either and I can't charge it because I only have the US charger, but there is still 13 hours. Anyway the display was time, distance and speed per hour (I hope I can change that to per km rate), well I was impressed without being excited, its bloody heavy and I was very conscience of it the entire run, which wasn't one to write home about... My favorite part of the Riverbend run is crossing the dam wall and running on the dirt tracks on the river's edge, but water was flowing over the top so I had to stay on the side that the bloody council have paved with kms of concrete paths...so this started the poor run. I was sitting on 12-12.5kph for the first 4k, then when I got to the Werribee train station I decided I had enough of this and I jumped onto the road and run through Werribee and then made my way to Galvin Park and back to Riverbend. Once on the road I increased up to 14.5-15kph, but to be honest I wasn't that excited about my run tonight. Got to 8km exactly and stopped and walked the final 500m back to my car, yawn......

A few stretches and some water and a small banana and off home. I wonder if I will get use to the Garmin, its is very big!


This evening I ran in what were my favorite pair of shorts, Asics boxer style, tonight they have been put to sleep, they gather and the past 3 wears I have ended up with chaffing, so I said goodbye to a pair of shorts that have completed a marathon & 1/2 a marathon and 2-3 seasons of AV racing, maybe they have had their time!!!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

There is a great site to download your Garmin workouts to. It's motionbased.com It's free, although they have an upgraded membership you can buy. I've stuck to the free version and it's great.

You will get used to the size of the Garmin, and there are a lot of neat things it can do. Hopefully you get a chance to read the book soon.

Steve's Stuff said...

I second jkrunning. You'll get use to the size and you certainly can adjust the settings to your liking.

I passed the dam tonight and saw the water overflowing and wondered whether you'd cross that.

Ewen said...

You'll have fun when you get used to it Stu.

On the custom screen, I like to have 'distance' (big numbers), 'ave pace' (mins/km) and 'time'. The 'average pace' of a run is continually being updated so if you suddenly do a fast km it doesn't make that much difference.

The 'current pace' feature is not that accurate. Set splits for kms to get an idea of your current pace on long runs.