Saturday 4 March 2006

Sat 04 Mar 06, All Comers meet @ Coburg, 800m race

8km today and 43km for the week so far. 3/4 runs this month & 50/63 runs for the year

Off to the Coburg Aths track today for the last All Comers meet, my race was listed to start at 2:45pm and we had to enter at least 1 hour before, so I arrived with Connor & Declan at 1.30pm, the same time as Kris McCarthy, he arrived with Renee Robson who raced in one of the men's heats.

After registering and chatting with some of the very fast U20 boys who I knew via Cam, I left my boys with a friend and took off for a 15 min warm up run. Whilst running I caught up with Adam (ads) and we chatted about todays race and just general catch up stuff. Stretch, chat, a few strides (4) and then I moved down to the start finish line to watch the faster heats. Adam was in the third heat, he was in the same race as Renee, he finished 5th, just missing 4th, but he was very happy with 2:08.50 (SB 2:07.XX). I was in the 4th heat with 6 others, starting in lane 1 (which is my fav), off we went, I knew I probably would lead the start or at least be very close to the front, at the cross over I was in the lead with one approx 1-2m behind, unsure of others. Felt great and very much in control of my pace, the first 400 in 67ish, according to the track clock. The Coburg track has very wide bends and short straights, just past the discus ring an invite guy pulled alongside of me and moved into the lead, I wasn't able to hang right behind, but sat back about 2m. With 200m to go he really pushed on and I concentrated on me holding my form and trying to increase my pace too, crossed the line 2nd and I knew I had gone sub 2:20 without looking at the clock.

Official time: 2:18.26, a PB of nearly 1 second and I have no doubt that I can go faster in the next month in preparation for the Vic Masters. With that run under my belt I have now decided I will run the 800m & 1500m and drop the 5k.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm, I think not!

Clairie said...

That is bloody fab news Stu!! Well done on the PB. Sounds like a brilliant race and I am sure your boys would have been watching with great pride!!!

Good to have some focus on what you plan on doing but sad to see you drop the 5km. Was interested to see how you went in that distance.

Do the shorter races require dedicated training that different to a 5km (I have no idea honestly I just run long).

Steve's Stuff said...

Congrats Stu......

As a distance runner seeing times of 2:18.26 I initially think of 2 hrs 18 mins and 26 secs. I had to back-track a paragraph and figure out what distance you were running.

Anonymous said...

Good work Stu Mac. Looking at your pbs you are probably a 400-800 runner and based on the 61s 400 a sub 2.15 800 is definitely possible. Maybe a bit more 800 race pace training to round the season out?

Clarkey said...

Nice work Stu!! A PB is always nice to rack up and add to the list.

Have you ever had much success with even splits for 800's?, I used to run (in high school), 60s then 70s, I always went out too hard. Often wonder if I could have broken 2.10 if I went out with a 65s first lap...

Ewen said...

Great PB Stu! Sounded like a very well constructed race. Of course you can chip a few seconds off that, and the 1500, by concentrating on those events for the rest of the season.

You have the potential to run 2:12 or better next season.

Tesso said...

Fantastic stuff Stu!!!! Congrats!