Wednesday 1 March 2006

Wed 01 Mar 06, R4K training run from the Saint Hotel

10km today and 28km for the week so far. 1/1 runs this month & 48/60 runs for the year

In the gym at 6:50 for a 60 minute session of chest, arms, back, core & abs. A good session with minimal break in between sets.

Tonight for the training run I was allocated the fast 10k group, which is advertised at 4.30 pace, my group, yet again was small and I knew all of the participants and they were all faster than me and one in particular a lot faster, but they all wanted to run as a group. We started the first km probably 4 min pace or slightly faster and we maintained that until just after the 3k area when one of the guys got a twinch in his hammy, so he dropped off and was happy to be picked up by the medium group. Off we continued, around the 5k area we slowed mainly due to the amount of Grand Prix works, sitting around 4:10 pace, using the 1 km markers near the aquatic centre we were back onto 3:50 pace, I was still able to talk but knew I was working. Both Kelvin Marshall (CR) & Simon Knowles(MMM, who runs for Richmond 32:17PB) were helping me heaps by encouraging and blocking the wind, but mainly with encouragement. On return to Canterbury Rd I had a quick glance at my watch, fast.... at the finish 39:52, wow, obviously not 100% sure of the distance and I wasn't racing but I was very happy with the effort.

Walked to & from my car so just the 10km tonight. Early today I had my appointment with a surgeon regarding the lump on my right breast. After some investigation he has suggested he would like to take it out, so his receptionist will ring me tmw to arrange my day surgery at Western Private, using my health insurance he can get me in 3 weeks, so I'll book for after Easter, so I can still run the Vic & Aust Masters T&F Champs. Using the waiting list (public) at Werribee I will wait for 4-6 months or longer. He reckons it should come out as there is some discomfort, more than likely I will lose my nipple, oh well, it doesn't serve any purpose except get cut up whilst running. As soon as I lifted my shirt, he said, oh yer I can see it..... A few days off work, it will leave a large indentation (of course) which over time will disappear.

All good.

7 comments:

Tesso said...

Thanks for the update, I'd been wandering what the latest was.

Anonymous said...

Gynochomastia?
if so, thats what i had!
its its a simple op, day surgery, in out, couple of weeks of low impact activity, then you are right!

Anonymous said...

Stu,
Best wishes for the surgery, there is never a good time to do these things.
It is no surprise that you have had a good hit out over 10km in training and like running Anderson St for the first time sub 40 is all in the mind.
Very soon you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Clairie said...

I can't believe there are people out there who run sub 40 for their 10km training runs!!! You are the man!!!

Good to hear the lump is being removed. Best out than in I say.
I hope it goes well and causes little pain or inconvenience to you.

PS. Do you get to keep the nipple if they end up having to take it off? We could sell it on ebay or something....

Anonymous said...

i knew you could run under 40 (easy!), well done stu. good luck with the surgery.

Ewen said...

So you may have inadvertently run a sub-40! To do that in training means your're in good shape Stu. Keep it going.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stu

Best of luck for the op. Hope all goes well for you