Wednesday 22 February 2006

Wed 22 Feb 06, R4K Run Leader Run in St Kilda/Albert Park

11km today and 47km for the week so far. 20/22 runs this month & 44/53 runs for the year

Woke this morning at 5:30am with slight gastro discomfort and feeling very average, so I decided against the gym and hopped back into bed for a while, re waking at 7:15am feeling like as I was lacking in energy. Breaky and off to work, started to feel better throughout the day, but I feel a bit tired but good enough to get through the day...

Arrived at the Saint Hotel with lots of time on my side, so I went for a brisk 15 minute walk around the streets. Tonight I had the 10k medium group, aim between 5min to 5.30min per km, I had 8 in my group, 7 guys and 1 lady, so this was my biggest group. After starting I noticed I didn't have a sweeper at the back, which turned out to be a slight hassle, but nothing too disconcerning.

Up to 6k we sat just below and sometimes just over 5min pace, around this time one of the guys had fallen back 100m or so, I asked the group to slow slightly and I would go back and encourage, within 1-1.5k he had caught up, I got him to take a slight short cut when he caught up which proved a good idea, we also caught up with someone from the fast 10k group. Overall a satisfying run, as I was happy my encouragement helped someone to catch back up and then maintain. We finished in 48:40, just a little faster than previous medium groups had gone..... oh well, we basically stayed together.

Jogged back to my car, approx 1k away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

stu-
what is a sweeper?

good to hear the training groups are going well for you

Stu Mac said...

locke the sweeper sits behind the group and helps pick up stragglers.

With the R4K groups the sweepers are Nike employees who have been asked to extend their hours (I think)