Saturday 4 February 2006

04 Feb 06, All Comers 3000m at Newport

11km today and 58km for the week so far. 3/4 runs this month & 27/35 runs for the year

An easy morning, sat around and watched some movies on Foxtel, no Little A's for me today, Region Champs, which I do not get involved in. Cam rang me to let me know he was going to do the 3k Steeple, so I made my way out there early to watch, hoping he would have a good one to get the confidence back up. He is going to run in the Open Vic Champs, so he gets the thrill of running at the 'G'.

He ran 10:20, which he has gone quicker before, but that is a lot better than anything in the past 6 weeks and considering he raced on Tue and had a big training week, I'm sure he and coach are happy. I watched a couple of friends in the second heat of 1500's and then did some chit chat stuff. CB Mac (if you are reading), I meant to introduce myself, but by the time I finished chatting you were gone.

Myself & Adrian we the only Western A's in the 3k but we warmed up with the 1500 guys who were doing their cooldown as well as Dave T, back from his holidays of not running & doing lots of drinking in Noosa..... welcome back.

A couple of ladies from Old Milers squad where in the same race, Kylie who has finished on the podium in a few marathons and Kirsten who is a sub 38 min 10k runner, but both do not race track very often and are not known for their speed. So a little banter between us on the start line, but I always knew Kylie would be a long way in front and I also thought I would be chasing Kirsten. Today I hoped I could sit around 86-87 per lap and run sub 11, but lack of quality lately, and having already raced twice might hamper things, not to mention the wind...

Splits:1:23, 1:27, 1:27, 1:29, 1:31, 1:32, 1:33 & 43 (Edit: 11:08, thanks Ewen, I forgot to add the overall time).

Whilst it wasn't the time I wanted I am still happy as it is either my 2nd or 3rd fastest and for the majority of the race I was out by myself and therefore copping the wind. For the first 700m or so I sat with a few of the ladies, but I moved in front to take my turn with the wind and within 300m I was by myself. The group in front of me were too far away so I just lent into the wind and worked. On the final lap I caught a young kid who had obviosuly gone too fast becaue with 2 laps to go he was 90m in front of me, and as can be seen by my splits I didn't speed up.

Finished with a 5k cool down with Adrian, watched the 5k race, with the first 3 running sub 15:20, a good race to watch. off to Ferny Creek tomorrow with Narelle and some others, should be good, the trails there are great!!!

1 comment:

Ewen said...

That's a good race considering your recent training Stu and also the headwind. You didn't say the time - 11 minutes?