Sunday 12 February 2006

12 Feb 06, 1h 50m on the Ferny trails

approx 20km today and for the week so far. 10/12 runs this month & 34/43 runs for the year

Up & out the door, off to the Dandenongs just before 7am, after a small breaky of Just Right. Taken with me, a peach, apple, small handful of grapes, bottle of water and a watermelon gatorade. Currently 14 degrees but an expected top of 28 today.

After stopping to organise my tolls I arrived at 7:55, the car park was nearly 100% full, a big group today, Tim's crew and others where going to go past and through a 'special'tree and have a moment to remember Jane Wilson (sister of Emma Carney). Some flowers were left behind and I would imagine many thoughts were had.

During the warm up I was sitting just behind some of Tim's faster squad members, chatting away, quite comfy, after 25 minutes I remembered that whilst I might stick with these guys at this pace for 45-60 minutes, I wanted more today so I tactically slowed a little and ran back to the car park for the first re-grouping with AL & Journeyman and then tactically removed myself from them, Gerard & Paul M and waited for the next group. ;-)

A great run, with some nice trails, soft underfoot, some nice downs and some good ups to work on. The final 30-40 minutes was on a trail that was introduced to everyone by a new comer, which after a while proved to be a very good tester at that stage of the run. I finished off fairly strong for the final 10 minutes and yet again really enjoyed myself at Ferny and with Tim Crosbie's training group.


After yesterday's good run over 3k and the long runs starting to feel really good, I hope that some quality speed sessions can be had, but I do need to conscience of my hip, I can still feel a sensation which feels like someone is pushing on my glutes and my hip flexors, esp when go down a hill. ??? Still trying to work out how I am going to prepare for the Vic Masters 800 & 1500 and back up the following week with the first of the Winter Races over 14.7km, priorities??? Will have to chat with Burkie, I'm thinking that my priority will lie with the Winter Comp, especially if we can field 2/3 men's teams representing Western A's, I hope we can get some new members and retain all of last seasons, but one or 2 are umming and arring...

2 comments:

Steve's Stuff said...

I might have to tag along one day.

Ewen said...

Sounds like a great run. That's sad to read about Jane Wilson - I didn't know that.

Burkie will know best, but my 2 cents would be to stick with the track stuff until the season is over.