Saturday 11 February 2006

11 Feb 06, my first race at Olympic Park

8km today and 64km for the week so far. 9/11 runs this month & 33/42 runs for the year

Little A's in the morning a solid 4 hours today with having to set up, then look after the 'on trackers' and then help as an official for a hour, most of the committee were at the Multi champs.

Off to OP arrived 3ish to watch some friends compete in the long jump. Did some chatting and took off for my warm up with Cam about 4.15 (40 min prior to my race). I was to race a 3000m in the 11 minute + heat, I have gone sub 11 once but I didn't particulary want to tag at the back today, I wanted to enjoy my race and my first experience of OP.

I started my race in position 12 and within 100m had settled into 2nd spot behind a young Collingwood runner, who I have seen the back of in many winter races. I was happy with my splits, hoping to sit around 86 per lap and get 11 min area, for the first 5 laps I sat about 3-5m behind, not closing but not falling behind. With 1km to go, I moved alongside as I had remembered he had out kicked me in a few winter races, but he didn't let me just creep past him, he kept me on his outside on the bend, once past the discus ring I increased my pace for five or so paces and moved in front, but he sat right behind, I hoped he would drop off but he didn't. With 200m to go, whilst I was going flat out (no kick Stu, they call me) he kicked and beat me by a fair bit, but I didn't mind, I crossed the line in a new PB of 10:49, very happy!!!

Splits:
1:22
1:25
1:27
1:26
1:26
1:28
1:28
43.9

Finished off with a few laps of the OP in field so I could continue watching races.

Some very impressive races too, Cam backed up after a hard 1k race on Thu night and ran 9:29 finishing 4th, Woody (Fresh Prince of DMAC) from Glenhuntly won the fast heat in 8:18 and the first 1500 was a close tussle as well, with Dan H, guy from Deakin, CB Mac & another guy! Dan taking 4-5 sec off his PB to run 3:57, first time under 4!!! An excellent day of distance racing!

I was chatting with a mother of one of the Frankston girls during Cam's race, she was amazed at why a Western A's runner was supporting so many different runners from so many different clubs, I smiled and told her this isn't a club V club thing, this is a meet where all the distance runners come to run fast and chat about running!!! :-) A note, thanks to all of the guys and girls who gave me support during the race, I had support in 2 spots on the back straight and one along the front straight & considering there was only one Western A' in the crowd at the time (Cam) that is a perfect example of my statement above, thanks everyone!

2 comments:

Tesso said...

Woohoo!!!! Congrats on the PB Stu! The tussle with the young chap sounded like a bit of fun.

Ewen said...

Well done Stu! That's a good PB. Splits were fantastic except for the last 200 - you must have been hurting. Imagine if you can get some consistent training happening!