Thursday 21 February 2008

World Athletic Tour at Olympic Park

I had the day off today to do 'stuff'... so I took advantage of sleeping and waking feeling re-freshed, just over 9 hours - WOW. I went for a 15 min easy run, very aware of my achilles which is why the run wasn't 30 minutes as planned. Once back home I stretched concentrating on legs & lower back. I was pleasantly surprised that my abs were fine after yesterdays pilates as I found the final 10-15 min quite hard.
___________________

Off to the track for coaching in the evening and then off to Olympic Park with a couple of the teenagers from the Club. I arrived at OP at 6:45pm and immediately noticed that one of the concepts that seemed to work very well last night was inviting Little Aths kids in uniform for free if accompanied with an adult and the adult paid only $10 instead of $16.50, thankfully I came with one Little Aths. 7pm was the first race; women's sprint hurdles which had a girl who had grown up with Western Aths and was competing against international athletes for the first time, she finished 6th and was very excited afterwards. As the night went on the crowd grew and grew, just under 10,000 spectators according to the Herald Sun and the competition got better and better.

Highlights for me were many, the sprint - yes but it was all over so quickly, but he was fast! You gotta love Tamsyn (well I do), and Jeremy Wariner was VERY IMPRESSIVE. The men's 800m & 1500m were both great races, Georgie ran a brave race but the international girl was always going to pass her, Donna was strong over the steeples too. And then the 5000m race...it was great to see Collis, Toby, Liam & Toomz, I have watched these four young men for the past 5-7 years grow into great runners, Liam & Toby are both one year older than my son, so I have seen them hundreds of times. Of course one of my fav's, Troopy was there suporting Australian aths as always, no chance of turning his legs over quick enough to cause any problems with the front runners, but always do so well. And Buster was GREAT!!!

2 comments:

Andrew(ajh) said...

It certainly would have been a great night at the athletics! I am a Tamsyn fan too! It would be very satisfying seeing all those young runners out there who you have watched grow up!

Ewen said...

Sounds like a great night. I must check the results. Sub-2 for Tamsyn again? I only heard about Powell's 10.04? and Buster winning.

It's great to see kids sticking with athletics into the open level. Inspiration for younger kids coming through too.