Tuesday 26 February 2008

Gym, coaching and a small track session...

Gym this morning for 45 minutes, I really gave the shoulders and chest a bashing today, a lot of the work on a fitball which was the first time this year, so this helps work the core group too. A good session, maybe too much upper body, but the final 10 min was squats & lunges.
____________________

At the track tonight with Melissa & Melanie, both U14 girls who are both new to training, both very responsive and willing to learn. Both girls did 5x300 and 2x150m. Melanie trained with one of Burkie's girls and then did some hurdle drills for the first time ever under Burkie's guidance, whilst Melissa arrived later, she is preparing for States HJ and an Open Day 800m, so she did a heap of drills first and then the set of reps.

I also did a small session myself, 3 laps with Blair (U18 boy) and then 2 laps with Cookie (O45, but VERY quick 2:01 800). Then I did lots of drills in my Frees, heel skips, marching, high knee skips, extended leg drags and bummies, all felt good. I then moved onto the edge of the infield (throwers in the middle) and did 6x100m strides and Cliff Young shuffle back before turning and going again, probably 1500m pace. The infield was wet from the sprinklers, so lots of mud up my back. Burkie had one of his 800m girls doing VERY fast 500m reps with LONG breaks, so I joined her for the first 200m (33 sec), I was rapt, as the pace felt good, achievable, but enough, I did 3 reps. I then shuffled around on the infield watching Melissa do her reps and chatted with her during her recoveries.

Overall a good night and my hip feels GOOD and the achilles was manageable.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

That's good news about the hip and manageable achilles.

I dream of 33s! Maybe out of blocks in a race :) That's a fast pace for 500s! She must be good.

Kathy ran 38:19 last week - only 4 seconds slower than her time of six years ago. There's hope for us oldies yet ;)