Tuesday 5 February 2008

Gym, coaching on Mon & a small run & coaching on Tue

Monday morning after a shit drive into the city I finally arrived at the gym at 7:30am, 8 minutes on the x-trainer thingy which was comfortable and a good way to warm up. After that I did 15 minutes of áll round light weights'and then 5 min or so of core work (crunches, planks & a machine). Then off to work and felt good for the session.

Monday nights I have a young group that I coach, ranging from 9-12 years old, some would say too young to be doing structured training, but honestly it is fairly easy and if it is hard, we are only talking 5-10 minutes. Each session starts with a 2 lap w/up, then some gentle dynamic stretching, some static stretching, 10 min of drills (which is more educational than hard work), then some strides. Then we have approx 10 minutes of work (this week 5x150m in small groups, which was the hardest session in the last month) and then a game.

Within the group I have 6 kids who are running 800m within the range of 2:50-3:05, so tonight I asked Michelle (15) to help with pacing their reps. This group worked just that little bit harder than the others, with slightly shorter breaks and one extra rep. With two weeks before the Region Champs, I thought it was time to just push them just that little bit extra.
____________________________________

After the session finished I did 10 minutes of drills (as per the physio advice), the intent is to get the left leg to start working slightly faster and of course stronger.
____________________________________

Tue morning; I hit the Tan just after 7am for my first run (well more of a run than the previous couple). Starting at the bollards near Govt Dve, I walked for 2 minutes to get the blood moving and then jogged for 5 minutes, taking me just past the Pillars. I then walked for 1 minute and then jogged for 5 minutes again, this time I ended up going up Anderson St for 1 min, so I took it easy (gees I felt SLOW, but I wanted to be cautious on the up). I decided to play it safe and walked up up to the corner before then jogging back to the start point using 2 min running, 1 min walking. All up I felt comfortable (I was sweating, don't get me wrong), no pain, little awareness of my hip flexor).

I finished with 8-10 minutes of stretching on the grass, lower & upper legs, hips and lower back. Felt good all day!
____________________________________

Tue nights I have my older group to coach (I normally train with the boys), but I wasn't training and either were the boys, Scott working, Pierre homework and texted asking for a session he could do locally. Michelle homework and opted for a 30 min run from home with 10 min hard. Clare working late & Roz yet to return, I thought I was only going to have the new girl, Melissa only. But I ended up with another Claire (12) and Teagan came to the track looking for a session too. I grouped Melissa & Claire with some of Burkie's girls (10x200m @ 800m pace) and I looked after them for Burkie and Teagan I asked her to jog 4 laps and then do a 20 min throwing session and then wait for one of Burkie's 15 year old girls and do 15 min of jumping drills.

A nice night.

3 comments:

jojo said...

yay..youre getting back to running

Ewen said...

Good to see you running 'a bit' Stu.

That doesn't sound like too much for 9-12s. Those running regionals should do well with some sessions like that behind them.

Anonymous said...

Im gettin there stu sorry LOL....From Roz