Monday 31 July 2006

Mon 31 Jul 06, treadmill & gym

7km today and 29km for the week so far, 27 runs/31 days this month

I went to the gym at lunchtime for 40 minutes today, 20 minutes of free weights and the 20 minutes of core work & push ups. Even though I have only just returned back to the gym I can already notice that my weight circuit is already becoming easier and I have no after the effect feelings the following day. The core work is different as that is easier to make harder with only small changes. The weights I don't want to fall into the normal trap of increasing weights, just reps. Mid afternoon the weather in Melbourne turned very bad, windy, dark and loads of rain... would I run!

For the remainder of the afternoon it kept raining off & on, but when on it was very hard. 5 o'clock came and it was time for me to finish up at work, I decided I would run after a friend reminded me that the run would probably loosen up the legs after the Sunday run. But I wasn't in the mood to get all wet and cold and I didn't have enough change of clothes with me if I did end up getting wet. So I decided to run in the gym on the tready if I could get one, which I did. 6.5km running and a final 500m at a very slow cool down pace. The first km was at 4:50 pace, then 4:40 pace for the 2nd, then 3 & 4 I was sitting on 4:30 pace, the 5th km 4:15 and for the final km I was sitting on 3:30-45. The best aspect of treadmill running during winter is the sweat! Gotta love it.

July's Stats

July's KMs - 293 (missed 4 days of running), last year: 290km

YTD - 1786 (down from last year, 1955km same time)

INJURIES - none

EXCUSES - whilst running a few kms, I have missed many LR

RACES COMPLETED - AV Sandown Relays & State XC Champs

RACES THIS MONTH - AV XC @ Ballarat

GOALS - No real goals for Aug, try and keep the kms up in the high 200s or low 300s. Hopefully I can get some fresh legs for the first Sun in Sep and try for my 3rd time under 90 min for the HM.

I noted that I only raced twice this month which is probably about right even though I didn't race that well in either, I didn't freshen totally for either but... This month I only have the one race so I'll try and manage a few longer runs on the weekends and then try and get the legs right for the Vic HM at Burnely. I weighed myself on Sunday wearing a pair of jeans & no shoes, 78kg.

4 comments:

Jaykay said...

There are definitely times when a treadmill is a better alternative to running outside!

Chocolate is yuk, chocolate is yuk!!

:0)

Em said...

I dragged myself around The Tan yesterday, but started at about 4:15, the rain held off for me, was damn cold though.

Anonymous said...

Are the weights helping with stipping body fat? I'm assumming your doing low weights, high reps.

Ewen said...

Treadmill running seems to take forever. We've got the undergound carpark at Parly House for bad weather, but even that gets boring after umpteen laps of 370 metres.