Tuesday 25 July 2006

Tue 25 Jul 06, speed session

10km today and 32km for the week so far, 21 runs/25 days this month

After Saturday's race I mentioned to Dave that we would look for a different session for tonight as the 1k reps were becoming slightly stale, at the same time mentioning that would be no more favours for Dave as he kicked my butt at Jells :-) . This meaning no more skipping reps or getting all of the inside running. Whilst we were cooling down I noticed Mona and suggested that we do the Mona session, so I said I would find the session on the net and then discuss with Burkie.

This afternoon I found the session on a website, cleared it with Burkie and confirmed our 5km training pace, should be approx 88 sec per 400m. The Mona session could easily be done anywhere, trail, road, the Tan or track, we were doing it on the track.

The plan:
* 2 x 90 sec @ 5k pace with 90 sec float recovery
* 4 x 60 sec @ 5k pace with 60 sec float recovery
* 4 x 30 sec @ 5k pace with 30 sec float recovery
* 4 x 15 sec @ 5k pace with 15 sec float recovery

We started with the normal warm up, there were 3 of us tonight, both Daves & myself, Dave T is slowly returning from a shin problem and we are hoping his bike work and now some light running on the grassed areas will see him return soon. Some stretching and chatting and then into the session.

We did the session, worked up a good sweat, both of us were slightly surprised, we thought it would be harder, don't get me wrong, it was a good workout, we just thought we would struggle more. The early reps (90 & 60 sec efforts) we were able to guage our lap times around 85 sec area, so a little quicker than expected. 85 sec per lap equates to an 18 min run, which neither of us are capable of, my PB is 18:45.

We finished off with 3 laps of the grassed area on the inside of the track immediately after our last 15 sec effort.

Chatted with Burkie afterwards, he thought our floats were a good pace and I asked about my arm action, which was fine. Peter suggested a casual run tmw, no faster than 5 min pace and upto one hour, no more. So the Yarra & the Tan for me, sometime after work.

5 comments:

Tesso said...

Hey Stu, if its easy to explain, exactly what changes did you make to the arm action?

Anonymous said...

sounds like a good session, i quite like the fartlek sessions myself.

Anonymous said...

Does ound like a good session Stu. Will have to try them maybe Thursday lunch time. An 18min 5k would be nice wouldn't it :-)
See you at Ballarat. Remember to bring old shoes, not those nice new shiny red ones :-)

Unknown said...

I know my speed sessions are nowhere near what you do, StuMac, but I really enjoy them & leave with a feeling of something achieved. Occasionally I give myself a pat on the back!

Crissyjt said...

While your explaining the arm action thing, could you tell me what the floating recovery means. My guess is a slow jog, but not to sure.
Sounds like a very satisfying session.